EPISODE 2: The summary of Gita

Sri Krishna, the Lord of the Universe decided to impart his divine knowledge to his path.

Sri Krishna: Oh Parth, Learned ones never lament for life nor death. Neither was there a time where I did not exist nor you nor anyone in this world.

Arjuna: How come this is true, Madhava? Anyone who took birth has to die. Death happens for compulsory.

Sri Krishna: Parth, you are seeing the body, I am seeing the soul. The soul is imperishable. The soul can be neither destroyed by fire nor sword nor water. It is immortal.

न जायते म्रियते वा कदाचि
नायं भूत्वा भविता वा न भूय: |
अजो नित्य: शाश्वतोऽयं पुराणो
न हन्यते हन्यमाने शरीरे ||

The soul is neither born nor does it ever die; nor having once existed, does it ever cease to be. The soul is without birth, eternal, immortal, and ageless. It is not destroyed when the body is destroyed.

Your body is just a vehicle for your soul. After your body gets perished, it either enters a new body or attains liberation from this cycle.

वासांसि जीर्णानि यथा विहाय
नवानि गृह्णाति नरोऽपराणि |
तथा शरीराणि विहाय जीर्णा
न्यन्यानि संयाति नवानि देही ||

As a person sheds worn-out garments and wears new ones, likewise, at the time of death, the soul casts off its worn-out body and enters a new one.

So why are you upset when everyone has to take birth and die?

O Arjuna, you are a warrior. Your duty is to fight for the sake of Dharma (Righteousness).

O Son of Kunti, be prepared to fight!

Fight for the sake of duty, neither for happiness nor victory.

कर्मण्येवाधिकारस्ते मा फलेषु कदाचन |
मा कर्मफलहेतुर्भूर्मा ते सङ्गोऽस्त्वकर्मणि

You have a right to perform your prescribed duties, but you are not entitled to the fruits of your actions. When you do this, you get liberated from the cycle of birth and death.

Arjuna: O Keshava, why do you want me to engage in this warfare which results only in destruction? Please tell me the path through which I can be benefitted.

Sri Krishna replied-

O Parth! Doing your prescribed duties benefits not only you but for your entire mankind.

न कर्मणामनारम्भान्नैष्कर्म्यं पुरुषोऽश्नुते |
न च संन्यसनादेव सिद्धिं समधिगच्छति ||

One can't achieve freedom from the cycle of life and karmic reactions by stopping yourself from doing your duty.

O Dhananjaya, physical renunciation doesn't lead to perfection and God.

न मे पार्थास्ति कर्तव्यं त्रिषु लोकेषु किञ्चन |
नानवाप्तमवाप्तव्यं वर्त एव च कर्मणि ||

There is no duty for me to do in all the three worlds, O Parth, nor do I have anything to gain or attain. Yet, I am engaged in prescribed duties.

If I don't do my duty, the three worlds may get destroyed. The people will not follow the correct path. It's my duty to lead the people in the right direction.