EPISODE 5: DAY 2

The troops returned back to their camps. The Kauravas cheeringly celebrated their victory on the very first day.

Yuddhishtir looked gloomy. He said, "O Krishna, How can we kill that mighty silver armored Bhishma who is destroying our troops like a fierce tiger? I am really worried about the plight of our troops. I think I should return to the woods as it is highly impossible to kill this mighty one."

Keshava smiled and said, "O son of Kunthi, don't worry. You have Arjuna, the mighty bowman on your side. There is Bhima, Dhrishtadyumna, Drupada, Satyaki, and Virata. You have the destined slayer of Bhishma, Sikandin. Just be patient. Dharma will always be victorious".

Yuddhistir felt positive and encouraged. He said, "Oh Panchal Rajkumar, Dhrishtadyumna, set up a mighty array tomorrow to destroy the troops of Kauravas. Oh Bhimasena, you have to destroy the army tomorrow."

The Sun rose. Dhrishtadyumna with Dhananjya woke up soon to set up a powerful array along with troops. The array was called Krauncha Vyuha (Bird shaped) which was previously used by Devraj Indra. King Drupada was at the head of the bird. King Kunthiboja (father of Kunthi) and Saivya (King of Sivi) formed the eyes. Yuddhistir and the other kings like Nishada king with troops formed the wings.

 Yuddhistir and the other kings like Nishada king with troops formed the wings

The Kaurava army too built a vyuha to protect Bhishma. Bhishma and his protectors were at first. Drona, Magadha warriors, and Vidharba warriors followed them, they were followed by Shakuni, Sindu warriors, Jayadratha, and Gandhara warriors. They were followed by Duryodhana and other Kauravas, Bhagadatta, Ashwattama, Susharman, and Shalya were at last.

The trumpets blew and the warriors from both sides rushed to devour each other.

Arjuna said, "O Keshava, take me to the greatest of all, Bhishma. For the sake of our troops and to destroy the arrogance of Duryodhana, I wish to kill the mighty today"

Krishna said, "Be careful, Dhananjaya. I will, of course, take you to the Grandsire".

Saying so Lord Krishna, the killer of horse Keshi rode the chariot with indeed great skills, towards Bhishma.

Arjuna challenged Bhishma. He shot 1000's of arrows against the Grandsire which were made to fall by Bhishma. Bhishma immediately with his large bow, pierced Madhava with two arrows in his chest. Seeing this, Arjuna became furious.

Arjuna and Bhishma fought fiercely. They blew conches in proudness and used various weapons. Their fight made the earth to tremble. The devas and Gandharvas were looking at the big fight of the warriors who are unable to destroy each other.

 The devas and Gandharvas were looking at the big fight of the warriors who are unable to destroy each other

While the brave commander of Pandava troop, Drishtadyumna attacked Drona. Drona with many weapons pierced the prince and made him fall down from his chariot. The prince immediately pierced Drona with 9 arrows. 

Drona furiously aimed a dart that was broken into pieces by him. He shot diverse arrows against him in which blood bathed the prince and in turn, he also blood bathed Drona with many arrows. They fought with maces. Due to a lot of arrows, Dhristadyumna, in the pool of blood had to take another cart. Meanwhile, Drona left him and attacked Drupad.

Duryodhana ordered the Kalingas (Rulers of the region Kalinga) to attack Bhima who was ferociously proceeding.

The Kalinga's surrounded Bhima. The Chedi armies attacked the troops of Kalinga. Bhima roared like a lion and fought with Srutayu, the ruler of Kalinga and his sons.

After a long fight, Bhima killed Srutayu, his son, Sakradev and Bhanumat. Bhima and his troops destroyed the Kalinga troops.

 Bhima and his troops destroyed the Kalinga troops

Bhima turned out to be the best bowman of the day.