EPISODE 3: Abhimanyu's great valor

Hearing the Gita from Lord Krishna, Dhananjaya lifted his Gandhiva and became determined to fight and fulfill his duty. Everyone rejoiced as the battle was about to start.

But, King Yuddhisthir did something astonished by the brothers. He directed his chariot towards the enemy's side.

Krishna said to the puzzled brothers, "Your brother is the son of Dharma Raja. He is in fact Dharma himself. He is moving towards Bhishma, the great Grandsire to seek blessings. It is a must for anyone to seek the blessings of elders for victory".

Yuddhisthir fell at Bhishma's legs and sought permission to start the war. Bhishma blessed him for the victory of Pandavas. Yuddhisthir proceeded to Dronacharya and Kripacharya and took blessings from them too.

Seeing Karna stranded at the end of Kurukshetra and observing everything, Sri Krishna went to him, "O Radheya, You have decided to not fight due to issues between you and Bhishma. You, better fight for us. After the mighty Ganga's son is slain, you can go back to fight for your dear friend".

Karna said, "O Keshava, I never wish to do against the words of my dear Suyodhana.

Vasudeva smiled and went back into the battle. Yudhishtir and Keshava praised Yuyutsu for siding Dharma and fighting against his brothers.

With uproars and chantings, under the order of the commanders of both sides (Dhristadyumna and Bhishma), the great battle of Kurukshetra started.

The Great War- Kurukshetra started. It started with the trumpets of huge elephants who looked ferocious and soldiers upon them. Thousands of soldiers from both sides clashed.

People forget who they were and what were their relationships. Friends fought friends and a brother fought with his brother like cruel foes with unextinguishable fury.

The fought soldiers fought with each other with various weapons and they protected the important people. Elephants from each side clashed with their tusks. The tusks of all elephants were filled with the blood of soldiers.

The neighing of horses, the trumpet of elephants, and mourning of soldiers were heard all over the world.

Pandavas with other top warriors headed towards the mighty Bhisma, while Salya (King of Madra), Kritaverma (Leader of the Narayani Sena which supported Kauravas), Kripa (Raja Guru of Hasthinapur) and Dhurmukha (One of the Kaurava) protected Bhishma.

The Chedis, the Panchalas, the Kashis, the Viratas fought fiercely (Fighters from those regions like Chedi, Panchala, Kasi, Virata)

The great, brave-hearted son of Kaunteya(Arjuna), Abhimanyu adorned with gold moved towards the silver armored Bhishma.

Abhimanyu with his full strength attacked Bhishma and the warriors protecting him.

He pierced Kritaverma with one arrow, Shalya with 5 arrows and mighty Bhishma with 9 arrows. He chopped the head of Dhurmukha's charioteer. He cut off the golden bow of Kripacharya.

Bhishma rushed towards Abhimanyu, killed his charioteer, and pierced him with an arrow. Kritaverma and Shalya too pierced him with arrows. But to the great astonishment of the warriors, Abhimanyu stood straight like a mountain. His strength added extra shining to his appearance other than the gold.

Bhishma praised Abhi that he has the same power as the mighty Gandhivdhari Arjuna. He sang his praises.

Bhishma invoked celestial weapons which hurled more than 1000 arrows towards Abhi.

The King Virata, his son Uttar, Satyaki (a close friend of Arjuna and Krishna), and Dhrishtadyumna (brother of Draupadi) protected Abhi. But everyone was pierced by the arrows of the Great Bhishma.