9.6

( 🎵 Eric Nam ft. CHEEZE - Perhaps Love )

Mrs. Park had always been the one in control. She ran the company alongside her husband before her son took over and even then, Mr. Park couldn't move as freely. But she had never made a single mistake. All the things she instructed their employee to do, every project she had asked her husband to take, all of them gave them great success. But what she failed to realize was how Seonghwa's life wasn't one where she could treat the same way. He wasn't a company, wasn't a project.

"Eunji promised me that she would still sign the partnership even if they don't get married," Mr. Son told the couple sitting across him inside the private room of the restaurant after the hours of discussion. Seonghwa and Eunji weren't there as they persistently told them how their decision's what's final. And now there's only the Park side of the two family left to convince. "She said she'll take over the company as soon as their engagement's off and sign that contract."

"Oh really?" Mrs. Park voice filled the room, the temperature of the room dropping instantly.

"I know you doubt her ability," Mrs. Son gentle voice replaced the former, "although it was wrong, my husband and I did too. And I know she was once happy with the decision made but I don't think she feels the same way anymore."

"How did that happen?"

"She didn't tell us," the old lady replied, "but she was determined to end this engagement. It may be different because you have a son but I couldn't have pushed my daughter to get married to someone she didn't want for whatever the reason may be."

"For as long as everything goes accordingly to our original plan, it wouldn't matter whether or not this wedding continues on," Mr. Park said, "if without the wedding, Eunji would still willingly succumb to partnership, then allow them to end their relationship."

Mrs. Park knew her son would run back to the arms of the girl who was nowhere near on par with them. The girl who had a daughter outside of a marriage. The girl who wouldn't give him anything but the illusion of happiness. Who knows she was only in for his money anyway, right. At least that was what she had engraved inside her head. And that was the one thing she feared for coming out of this agreement.

"She promised so, I do have faith in her words this time around," Mr. Son responded, "so I guess it's time to let our children find their way towards their own love."

The only person who was hesitant, was the mother of the lad. She still couldn't fathom the thought of her son being with someone who would spark questions. The little girl she had, the family background, everything that made Yunhee up were trouble for someone who sits at the top like her.

~

"I pushed on pretty hard," Eunji began, sitting herself comfortably on the couch inside Seonghwa's office, "they wouldn't buy my reason of not loving you because I have made it obvious since years before but at least it relieved them that I said I would actually take over the company nonetheless of our marriage being dismissed."

"At the end of the day, it's all about work and money and our company huh," Seonghwa heaved out his breath harshly, "they wanted us to get married for business."

"Yeah," the lass agreed, "but I did genuinely want to get married to you, Hwa." A chuckle escaped her lips and Seonghwa could feel his heart squeeze, "I'd now rather not though. Wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life seeing you all grumpy because you married the wrong girl."

The lad leaned against his table and crossed his leg, looking down at his shoes, "Eunji, I'm sorry." He once again said.

"I wouldn't have been happy even if I did marry you," she remarked, "because I know you wouldn't be too. So really, it's alright."

The room fell silent after that, as the only noise came from the ticking of the clock. As it struck 3:30, Eunji shoved all her things inside her bag and stood up from the couch. She straightened her dress and hang her bag on her forearm. "I got to get back," she told him, only then had he lifted his head up, "might as well call Yunhee over to tell her our engagement's officially off now."

He gave her a smile, one where she couldn't depict what he felt. "I'll make sure to do that."

Once the lass was out the door, he fished out his phone and unlocked it before scrolling through his contact list. He pressed on to the number he wanted to dial and it took her a mere ring to pick up. "Can you come to my office, right now?"

Yunhee closed the lid to her laptop and stood up from her seat, not taking a second longer before proceeding to go to the man's office. He sounded happier through the line and she could only hope there were some kind of good news that he had to tell her.

Her balled fist knocked on the wooden door and his voice immediately came through the thick matter, allowing her to go in. She stepped inside, wanting to close the door behind but Seonghwa was faster as to grab her wrist and turn her around. Her eyes were wide opened from the shock of him wrapping his arms around her waist so tightly. He managed to close the door with a single push of hand and it was only then when he could feel the lass wrapping her arms back around him.

"Hey," she greeted gently, "what's wrong?" he was slightly swaying her from side to side and that was the only thing keeping her away from worrying as such a hug meant he was in a good mood.

She gently pat his back as he continued to bury his face on the crook of her neck. "Would you like to tell me what's gotten into you?" she once again asked.

"My engagement's off," he mumbled against her skin, tickling her slightly.

"What?"

He lifted his head up and loosed his arms slightly but still had it resting on the curve of her back, "I'm not going to marry Eunji, nor am I still engaged to her."

A smile tugged onto her lips but she knew that wasn't the only thing they had to fight through. For as long as his mom hold onto the mindset of social classes in her head, they wouldn't be allowed to be together.

"I know you still have to gain my mom's favor but we'll do that together, alright?"