Chapter 4

Time really does fly, doesn't it? Today is my matric dance, just a week before our trial exams start. I had half a mind not to go until Simmy and Aphiwe convinced me it's all about making memories. They were all sentimental, talking about how I'd want to look back at these pictures one day. Honestly, I just rolled my eyes at their dramatics, but here I am, getting ready for this ridiculous event.

It's been two years since everything went down, and my relationship with my parents has only gotten worse. We never see eye to eye on anything. The trips to the principal's office haven't decreased one bit; if anything, I've only become more problematic. They've started ignoring me even more than they did before. Parents, right?

My dress is supposed to be delivered today around three, and a makeup artist is coming to the school to do my face, courtesy of my mother. Another one of her attempts to apologise for the little argument we had earlier. Like makeup can cover up the mess she's made of our relationship.

The only thing I'm genuinely looking forward to is this year ending. Then I can escape to my grandparents in East London. At least they love me and aren't afraid to show it. They're my sanctuary away from this drama.

I'm pacing in my room, the anticipation and annoyance mixing into a cocktail of emotions that's making me restless. I glance at the clock. It's nearly three. Just as I'm about to collapse from the sheer weight of teenage angst, the doorbell rings. I dash down the stairs, almost tripping in my excitement.

The delivery guy hands over a large, beautifully wrapped box. I thank him, not bothering to hide my impatience as I rip it open. The dress is even more stunning than I imagined. Deep emerald green, with intricate beading that catches the light just so. I run my fingers over the fabric, feeling a twinge of excitement despite myself.

As I head back upstairs, my phone buzzes. It's a text from Simmy, filled with heart emojis and words of encouragement. I smile, a genuine one this time. Maybe tonight won't be so bad after all. With friends like her and Aphiwe, I suppose I can endure anything, even a night of forced smiles and awkward dances.

I lay the dress on my bed and start getting ready, my thoughts wandering. The makeup artist arrives, setting up her tools and chattering away. I nod along, letting her work her magic.

By the time she's done, I barely recognise myself. My reflection shows a confident, beautiful girl ready to take on the night. I smirk at the mirror, feeling a surge of rebellious energy.

"Let's make some memories," I whisper to myself, ready to face whatever the night holds.

When I finally descend the stairs, the scene in the dining hall hits me like a whirlwind. My friends are already there, making a racket every time someone else makes their grand entrance. It's like the Oscars, but with more teenage angst and fewer designer gowns. The hall, booked for our evening festivities, is buzzing with excitement. A bus is set to ferry those who want a communal ride, but of course, my friends and I are arriving in style, courtesy of the limo Amanda and her husband hired. Amanda really goes all out trying to buy my love, but she knows deep down that what I crave more than any flashy gesture is for her and her husband to just act like real parents.

I make my way through the chaos, each step a calculated move to avoid tripping over the throng of overexcited classmates. The chatter, the laughter, it all melds into a cacophony that grates on my nerves. As I approach my friends, I can see the envy in their eyes as they notice my dress. Well, at least I'll give them something to talk about.

"Hey babe, you look absolutely stunning!" Lelo gushes, pulling me into a hug, she is the one I kissed that year and almost got suspended for. There is nothing going on between us either than just being friends. Unfortunately I cannot promise that more did not happen between us over the years but we remain good friends.