Chapter Three

I was ushered to the living room where I was told to sit. Scared to know what would happen if I did not sit, I sat. Joshen walked out of the room and Arthur sat in a chair across from me.

"You can ask those questions now. I have my chef making dinner for us as we speak." Arthur said looking out a window and into the forest. I stared shocked, he has his own chef! I thought. I calmed my self the best I could before I asked any questions

"Well first, why did mother and father never tell me about you?" I asked, it was the question I wanted answered the most right now.

"When we were born, our parents only wanted one child. So they sent me here, along with money and a nurse. They tried to keep in touch with me but two years ago just before they died they stopped contacting me. The last thing they told me was about you, Elizabeth" He said. He looked on the brink of tears.

"Oh. So they never told you why they left us?" I asked even though I knew I probably shouldn't. He looked at me.

"That's one think we might not ever know. Like I said, you were the last thing they told me about." He sounded kinda annoyed if you ask me. And this scared me, I mean he was the last family I had. I did not want to fight with him like I faught with our parents. I looked down, scared to say any more. "If you are worried about me fighting with you like our parents did, you don't have to worry. Your the only real family I have now. I don't plan on loosing it." I looked back up at him, tears threatening to fall once more.

"I'm sorry." I wispered under my breath. Only a few moments later a man walked in and spoke.

"Dinner is served." He then walked out, my brother stood and walked over to me. He put his hand forward gesturing for me to take it. I hesitantly took his hand and stood up. He eyed my body,

"Why don't you change into something more nice rather than jeans and a t-shirt" He said pointing to my outfit. I looked up at him.

"Do I have to?" I asked. He shoke his head no and dismissed the though then lead me to the dinning room. He walked me to one end of the table and pulled out the chair letting me sit before pushing me in. He walked to the other end and sat. Joshen sitting in the middle of the table on the left side of me. A few people walked into the room and put plates covered in food in front of the three of us. The plates consisted of chicken, green beans, and stuffing. We ate in silence, only the clanking of the silverware to the plates could be heard in the room. After dinner Arthur left the room, leaving me alone with Joshen. I looked down at my empty plate.

"So, Joshen.... how long have you known my brother?" I asked trying to make small talk.

"Only a few years. At the time we met I was homeless, I was asking for change to stay alive. He brought me here, and we made a deal. I can live here until I can stand on my own two feet. Or I can work for him and live here as long as I wanted to." I looked up at him shocked. I would have never though that this kind young man sitting in the same room as me would have ever been homeless. And my brother did not seem like the kind of person to help someone like that. Never judge a book by its cover right." I should probably take you too your room. Your brother wants you in something nice by nine tonight." Joshen then stood up and walked to me and pulled my chair out so I could stand then pushed it back in when I stood and moved out of the way. I followed him to my room. He opened the door and explained that if I needed any help with my outfit to pull a string that was on the wall and someone would come to help me. He walked out just as I sat down on the bed.

"Something nice huh?" I said to myself, wondering why he wanted me in something nice. I slipped my shirt and jeans off then walked to the closet to see what there was.