6- we never change

"I want to live life always be true. I want to live life and be good to you... we never change, do we?"
-coldplay

The rest of the week has passed. Times been going pretty quickly lately. It's Monday again. I sighed as I rolled out of bed.

I haven't been feeling the greatest lately. Maybe it's because Pony and Cherry are seeming to be a little bit too close.

I keep telling myself that I'm such a jerk for thinking that way. He's my best friend, and he's happy. So I need to be happy for him. I shouldn't be so selfish.

I took a quick shower and threw my long blondish reddish hair in a high ponytail. I got dressed, wearing a pair of black leggings as usual, and a gray hoodie with my jean jacket overtop. I wear a different variation of this outfit all the time during the winter, because it's easy and comfy and I really hate to try so hard to look good.

Although, maybe if I did try a little harder, like Cherry...

She always wears dresses and skirts and makeup and her hair looks perfect every day. I've never seen the girl in a pair of sweats. I mean, she's a Soc and that's expected of her I guess, but golly, maybe if I dressed like that maybe Ponyboy would like me too.

I woke up too late today to do any makeup, but I wanted to change my outfit to something nicer. I shuffled around the stuff in my closet. But I didn't own any winter skirts or dresses or even nylons to put underneath. It was no use. I was a goner.

Oh well. I don't really like clothes like that anyway. They're uncomfortable and annoying. Just not me at all.

I kept trying to tell myself it didn't matter if I acted like Cherry or not, because I still have no proof that he even likes her like that!

But the other side of me thinks he's been acting weird lately and spends lots of time with her...

God, I'm overthinking so much. Sometimes thinking is the worst thing I can do.

"Hey Kaylee!" I jumped at my moms voice. What's she doing home from work the second Monday in a row?

"Hey mom... I didn't expect you to be here."

"Oh, I'm about to leave. But I have to tell you something!"

Ponyboy's not the only one who's been acting weird lately. My mom was too. She's been gone longer than she works. Her shifts could end at five but she'd only get home at eight. I didn't ask her about it though, because it's not really my business and she seems happy enough.

"What is it?" She grabbed my hand and led me to the table. She sat across from me. "Mom, you're scaring me," I said. What was the news so big that I had to sit down for?

"Okay, honey. So... it's been a while since the accident, you know. And I know your father would've wanted me to find someone new. No one can replace him, ever, don't get me wrong. But... well, honey, I'm seeing someone new. And I have been for a while now. I'd like you to meet him."

My jaw dropped. I couldn't help myself. My mom... has a boyfriend? I can't seem to wrap my head around it.

I wanted to scream and cry and yell at her for trying to forget about Dad. But I can tell this guy, whoever he is, makes my mom happy. He definitely does if she wants me to meet him. So I can't tell her how angry it makes me because that's just selfish.

"Oh," I replied. "That's... that's great, mom."

She smiled. "That's it? You're not mad?"

I smiled softly back. "No. Of course not."