Episode 9

The first period of the reign of King Gwangjong Wang So - Period of Grouping (949-955) (some events are based on the history of Goryeo, but conflicts I wrote based on dramatized imagination)

In the quietly throne room, Wang So read the petition scrolls submitted by representative nobles from clans scattered throughout the country of Goryeo. He was only accompanied by Ji Mong and Baek Ah. Most of the petitions contain requests for a royal marriage. The clans began to offer the girls from their clans to become So's companions, whether consorts or concubines. Empress Gyeong Hwa-Gung, who was married for the first time by Wang So, has now decided to stay in the temple as a nun. Then the empress's position returned empty.

The late King Taejo Wang Geon formed an alliance with the nobility of the clan through marriage. That allows them to have private soldiers, who are feared to be able to rebel. Therefore, So refused to marry the daughters of the nobility, to prevent the increase in power and influence of the aristocratic family. Besides, he only wants to make one woman to be with him for life, Hae Soo.

Not completing the reading of the petition which contained more or less the same, he returned to his bedroom. There Hae Soo was waiting. So immediately lay on her lap.

"I'm so tired, Soo. My head looks like it's going to exploded," So complained.

"I will give you a special massage," Hae Soo said, starting to massage So's head.

"Hm ... so comfortable."

"Pyeha, I have one request."

"I will always fulfill your thousand wishes."

"You released several Damiwon servants, including Chae Ryung. But she has no other place than the palace. Can she still serve me and stay here?"

So was silent for a moment.

"I'm lonely. Let Chae Ryung accompany me, huh?"

"Soon you will not be lonely if you have given birth to my children."

Hae Soo pushed So's head

"Ch... children?"

"Tomorrow the royal physician will examine you. You must take care of the condition of your body in order to give birth to our healthy children."

"We're not even married yet, but have you talked about children?"

"Marriage? We can get married whenever you want. Tomorrow? Let's get married tomorrow."

"Do not want."

"What?" So surprised.

"You have to propose to me first. When we were at the prayer shrine, you said you wanted to say something but forgot. At that time you wanted to propose to me right?"

"I don't know when we can go there again. I cannot easily leave the palace now. I must plan a good proposal to please you. Hm ... dealing with you is far more difficult than royal politics."

Hae Soo just smiled. But the smile did not reach her eyes. There is sadness radiating there.

Before So planned to have the physician examine her, Hae Soo had already checked herself in. A few days before So became king, they had sex in the cottage. Her period was late for two months. She also checked herself secretly and hoped to give a sweet surprise to her boyfriend. But the answer from the physician broke her heart.

She has poor health condition, moreover, it's very bad. Her knee that was injured during imprisonment was not healed so well that it had an infection. She is predicted to be paralyzed in a few years. But there is more worse, her heart condition. During this time she harbored sadness and depression, making her heart weak. She can not give birth to children, may not even be pregnant, because it would be very risky if a woman suffering from heart disease is pregnant. The heart must pump more blood, for the mother and fetus. But a weak mother's heart will make the fetus lack of blood and oxygen supply. The fetus can die or be born disabled.