Episode 21

A few years towards the end of King Gwangjong's reign
.
.

Flashing lightning casts human shadows on the paper walls of the King's bedroom. Wang So curled up in a corner of the bed, trembling in fear. His palms closed his ears tightly, but he still heard whispers, because the sounds were not coming from outside, but from inside his head.

He pulled the blanket around his whole body. But he felt the blanket covering his legs begin to unfold. It seemed something was climbing into the blanket, continuing to rise until it was in front of So's face.

Wang Yo's face.

"AAAAAAA !!!"

Wang So opened his eyes with breathless hunting. He looked around, nothing and no one. Eunuch Cho and the servants entered his room when they heard his scream.

"What's wrong, Pyeha?" Asked the eunuch.

"I ... I had a bad dream," So stammered.

"Have a drink, Pyeha," the eunuch offered a glass of water.

So immediately gulped down the water. But when he lowered his glass, who was standing before him not Eunuch Cho, but Wang Won who grinned sinisterly with blood that did not stop flowing from inside his mouth.

"AAAAAA !!!"

Eunuch Cho and the maid immediately entered the King's room. They were surprised because the King had stood on the bed with his sword drawn. The eunuch tried to calm him, but the king jumped from the bed, slashing the poor eunuch who did not have time to escape.

~~~

Wang So sat in the middle of the messy room, staring blankly at Eunuch Cho, who lay lifeless, bathed blood in front of him. The bloody sword was still clasped in the palm of his hand. One other hand began to grab his hair with white strands.

The last few years he was often attacked by nightmares. All the lives of the people he took away began to arrive to demand revenge. The longer it gets worse. He began to be unable to distinguish between fantasy and reality. This month, he had killed two servants accidentally, and now his loyal eunuch died in his hands.

State affairs are neglected. He could not concentrate because of the hallucinations that he suffered. He was too focused on religious matters, built many temples, spent a lot of funds for religious purposes, with the hope that the spirits of all the people he killed would not bother him anymore.

Many people began to criticize the King, starting with the "cleansing" that he did. He is called the tyrant king. The people who initially worshiped the merciful King, began to dislike him too. Moreover, there were two earthquakes. Although he can overcome it, the nobility and the people still blame the leader.

Ji Mong, who came to the King's room after being informed by a servant, fell limply seeing the situation inside there.

"Pyeha ... why are you being like this?" Ji Mong whimper.

"I ... I didn't do it on purpose ... I didn't do it on purpose ..." So muttered many times, "They keep coming ... I'm afraid ..."

Ji Mong immediately told the guards to remove Eunuch Cho's body and take care of this mess. Eunuch Cho will reportedly die of illness, then be cremated soon. Again, they will cover up the real incident.

Suddenly Ji Mong's nose sniffed a familiar scent. He looked here and there, finding a candle that was almost burning. When he watched it, he suddenly stared.

"This--"

So snatched the candle from Ji Mong's hand, put it back on the table. Ji Mong looked at So in disbelief.