Episode 18

"It turns out that Wanghu is pregnant, Pyeha. But forgive me, I cannot save her fetus. She miscarried," explained the Physician.

Wang So's fingers massaged his forehead, which felt like it had been hit by dozens of hammers.

After he managed to collect Hae Soo's ashes, he dropped it again, seeing Yeon Hwa lying unconscious with a skirt that was previously golden yellow, turning red.

"Does Wanghu know that she is pregnant?"

"It seemed, not yet, Pyeha. In the last examination last month, the fetus was still not there. It seems to be very young, maybe only a few weeks, or even a few days."

Wang So remembered their last intimate relationship a few days after Yeon Hwa's monthly period ended, about ten days ago.

The fetus is just ten days old.

"... and I killed my flesh and blood ... again."

~~~

The room inside the peony pavilion is still a mess, Wang So is forbidding the servants to clean it. He returned to the room, staring at the scene of the crime last night. Blood still splattered on the floor, the blood of his future child.

He knelt near the scattered urn of ashes, about to collect them again. But the sun that shines makes things clearer. Ash in the urn is not human ash, but only sand.

Trembling, Wang So grasped the sand. How could this happen?

And he remembered the little urn that was owned by Jung, understood him now.

His lips began to tremble, forming a smirk. Slowly the smirk turned into laughter, even though his eyes kept flowing tears.

He laughed, laughed at his stupidity. For years he cried for sand. He hurt his wife just because she slammed the sand. He killed his future baby only because he was collecting sand. If he had helped Yeon Hwa sooner, maybe their sixth child would have been born next year.

~~~

Returning to Yeon Hwa's bedroom, still with his face flooded with tears, Wang So knelt beside the bed of his queen who was still unconscious. He looked at a pale face, like no more blood flowing under her skin.

He recalled their happy childhood, a little girl who had a charming smile with a small dimple near her lips. He remembers when he was in Shinju, spending every night missing Yeon Hwa, writing thousands of letters and poems that only ended in the fireplace. He remembers when he returned to Songak, remembering the heartbeat that craved when he saw how charming Yeon Hwa when she was an adult, made him want to have her right away.

His love to her was there, and still is, with a different taste.

He just realized, that Yeon Hwa is as precious as Hae Soo. She is always faithful by his side, supporting and loving him with all her heart, even though he always hurts her. He was not unaware everytime they had sex, he mentioned the name of Hae Soo. He is not drunk. He did it on purpose to punish Yeon Hwa.

He knows some of the things Yeon Hwa has done so far. Yeon Hwa, who trapped Hae Soo on the charge of poisoning Wang Moo, almost even killed So, who drank the poison. Yeon Hwa deliberately releases Eun so that the boy is caught and finally sentenced to death, by his two hands. Yeon Hwa also knows about Wook's idea of ​​poisoning Moo's bath, though it wasn't directly involved. And Yeon Hwa, who separated him from Hae Soo, by asking Wook to revealed their engagement in the past.

There were quite a lot of crimes she committed, which deserved the death sentence. But Wang So didn't do it. He doesn't want to kill Yeon Hwa too quickly, too easily. So he tortured her every day with a cold attitude, by saying the name of another woman while having sex with her. Yeon Hwa is sentenced for life.