Chapter 7; Roles

With Japan

   Japan, South Korea, and Australia wander around the square, catching up with one another and laughing as they look at the things each stall has to offer. Japan suddenly perks up with a smile, skipping ahead and stopping at a stall decorated with bright, lively colors. 

   "Look!" she cheers, picking up a small object and holding it up for the other two to see. She holds a small, clay cat painted over with a white glaze. The only other color present is a bit of black that makes up the cat's features. It holds a pleasant look. 

   Aussie laughs and pats Japan's head. "It sorta looks like you," he says with a grin. South laughs as Japan bats at Australia's hand with a playful frown. Japan sets the cat down before continuing onward with a bright smile, the other two following shortly behind her. 

   Without warning, someone stops the group and asks something in a foreign language not native to any of the three. They seem confused and lost. Australia responds in the same tongue without a moment of hesitation, smiling as he seemingly explains something. Once he finishes, they smile and nod their thanks before quickly hurrying off. 

   South Korea and Japan share a confused look before turning to the Australian. Australia turns to them and frowns at their expressions. "What?" he asks. 

   "How did you know what they were saying?" South asks as he raises an eyebrow. Genuine confusion is clear in his voice. 

   "What do you mean?" Australia asks, his frown deepening. "They were speaking English, it makes perfect sense that I knew what they were saying."

   Japan shakes her head with a concerned look, brows knit as she looks up at Aussie. "That wasn't English, Aus-Kun, nor was it any language we know. Unless you Australians have a secret language, I don't think that was a language that belongs to any country I know."

   "I'm not sure," Australia admits with a confused shrug. "We have those power things, don't we? Maybe that's why I understood them?"

   "Maybe," Japan says with a nod. 

   "Well, come on then, let's keep going!" South Korea says with a smile. Aussie and Japan quickly nod, their smiles returning almost immediately. South's smile grows as he starts forward again with a smile. 

   Japan skips to his side, slowing down once she's beside him. "How come you didn't come to the party? Everyone was invited."

   "Ah, well," South starts, messing with the drawstrings of his hoodie. "It's- er. . ."

   Australia comes up to South's other side and pats him on the back. "Come on, we won't ridicule you or anything. You're free to talk about it, if you want."

   "Yeah!" Japan agrees with a reassuring smile. 

   South smiles a bit as he nods. "I didn't feel too well, I guess. North and I had an argument and I didn't want my mood to sour anyone else's.

   "I-It was nothing big!" he quickly explains. "It was only a small disagreement, it just. . ." South sighs. "I felt bad, so I stayed home." He glances at Japan with an apologetic expression. "Sorry."

   "Don't be!" she chimes. "It's perfectly fine! Don't feel bad," Japan reassures with a smile. "You didn't feel well, it wouldn't have been fair to you if you had forced yourself to come."

   "Right," Aussie says, joining in. "It was better for you to stay home than come. For yourself, I mean! It only mattered that you felt better."

   South Korea smiles at the two, putting an arm around both of their shoulders and pulling them into a hug. "Thank you," he says as they hug back. "It means a lot to have you two supporting me."