The slip up

The hug didn't feel awkward or lonely, not like the ones he was used to. He let himself cry until he felt empty, until his heart and head ached. Here he was to comfort Marinette and yet she was comforting him. Finally the crying and hiccups stopped and he relaxed his hold before stepping back. Instantly he wished for the warmth back. But Marinette wasn't Ladybug and he was sure Marinette was dating Luka? Far be it for him to cause any problems. "I'm sorry Marinette I came here to comfort you and you ended up comforting me!" Marinette shook her head and placed a hand on his arm. "No Chat I could tell something was bothering you. Wanna talk about it?" She moved to her chaise and patted the seat next to her. Chat hesitated a moment before moving to sit next to her. "Besides I have a feeling our issues may be related in some way." Chat looked over at her bluebell eyes noticing a slight mistiness to them. Had she been crying because of him? He looked away and they sat in silence for a minute. "What is bothering you Chat Noir?" Chat leaned back until he was on his elbows and his belt tail curled onto the floor. "Well, we are closing in on Hawkmoth." What the crap?! He shouldn't be blurting this stuff out! Ladybug would kill him! He could be putting Marinette in danger! "You and Ladybug?" Marinette spoke patiently and calmly. Chat glanced over and looked at her. "Yea..." Well isn't that a good thing?" Chat laid back fully letting his hands cushion his head. "I guess so. But... she thinks it might be Gabriel Agreste."

If Chat had looked at Marinette, he would have seen the surprise and confusion flicker across her face. "What makes you so sure its him? It could be anybody, like the mayor." "All the signs point to him unfortunately." Chat looked over at Marinette who was watching him with concern. Sitting up he placed his hands on his knees. "Chat I'm sure-" Gritting his teeth and clenching his fists he took a harsh breath in. "WHY? Is it so bad he cant tell his own son?! Does he not care how Adrien might feel?!" Suddenly Marinette got angry, "That's not fair! Adrien has nothing to do with this! How dare you judge someone you don't know!" Chat looked over at Marinette's furious face. She almost looked like Ladybug, if she only had the mask. "He should have said something!" "That's no reason to blame someone!" Chat tugged at his hair. "How can I not?! I could have done SOMETHING!" Marinette's face went went from angry to shocked. Chat realized suddenly why and slapped a hand over his mouth and widened his eyes. For a long moment they stared at each other. He had to fix this! Removing his hand from his mouth he put both hands on her shoulders. "Marinette! It isn't what you think!"

Marinette's face went through an interesting range of emotions. Surprise, concern, anger, embarrassment and finally calm shyness. Taking a deep breath Marinette spoke, "Honestly, I can't imagine anyone else being the kindhearted, loyal, and caring Chat Noir. I'm glad it turned out to be you." Chat hesitated and studied her face for a moment. "You are... oddly calm about all this..." Marinette let out a laugh before sighing and looking away. "Let's just say Ladybug and I are kinda close... and she cares about you quite a bit." Chat's jaw dropped. Marinette knew Ladybug? Maybe outside of the mask? But she told him to not reveal his identity to anyone! "Chat? Promise me something?" Chat blinked and realized he was looking straight into her eyes. "Promise me you will be careful when you fight hawkmoth?" Chat placed a hand over his heart and puffed out his chest. "Cats honor princess!" he peeked at Marinette who was blushing slightly. She smiled at him and spoke again. "Can you... come talk to me when you do? I want to tell you something but only after you defeat Hakwmoth." "Sure thing!" Chat winked and then saw the clock on the table. Oh no the time! Standing up he stretched a bit before turning to Marinette. "I hate to leave you after I kinda accidentally revealed my identity and I feel my bugaboo wouldn't approve of it.. but I have to get some rest. Ladybug and I have a stakeout tomorrow night." Chat started to climb up to exit the trapdoor only to feel a tug on his tail. Pausing he looked down at Marinette. "I haven't even left and you miss me already?" He smirked at Marinette when she gave him a huff in response. "No! I just... it will work out with your dad, I'm sure of it." She smiled up at him and his heart gave a small leap at her words. Grinning he nodded, "Thanks Princess... Marinette, that means a lot. Have sweet dreams." And with that he climbed up onto her balcony and started his journey home with a smile on his face....