Hopes and Dreams

The whole day passed in this manner. By the time of sunset, Wei Ying and Jiang Cheng knew the different keys and basic notes.

Lan Zhan helped them wherever he can. He gave them ideas to remember the keys and such. Lan Xichen taught them patiently and cleared whatever doubts they had.

By the time evening rolled around, they felt quite comfortable handling the flutes and didn't feel like they would break it by just holding it wrong.

Lan Xichen was worried. He knew by this time tomorrow, the spell would be over and his Didi would be back to normal, if what the rogue said was true.

But what worried him was whether what he said was actually true. He was the one who convinced Wei Wuxian in the beginning that he would take care of A-Zhan no matter what happened. But still the prospect of never seeing his grown brother back terrified him.

Lan Xichen decided to go see the rogue and make sure he's still there and hasn't changed his statement. He wanted to be able to get to him if something goes wrong tomorrow.

But he knows if he says his worries, Wei Wuxian will freak out and it will worry Lan Zhan and frustrate Jiang Cheng.

So he thought he would go to the prison without telling them where he's going.

When the Village Head's servant came to give the food, he used the chance. He said to the others, "The Village Head had asked for me. There's a minor disturbance in the nearby village. He said he needs to discuss about that. So I'll meet him and if I'm leaving for the night, I'll send a message."

Lan Zhan said, "Gege please eat something before going" but Xichen said, "Didi, I'm not hungry right now. You can eat and then I'll come back soon and have my dinner. Alright"

Still he was not convinced. Lan Zhan said,"Gege, I'll come with you. You don't have to go alone." He didn't care about his situation, he just didn't want to let his brother go alone.

Lan Xichen had feared his brother would say this, so he replied, "Don't worry A-Zhan, I'll handle it and if I can't I'll send for you people. Now, stop worrying and I'll be back soon."

Lan Zhan accepted reluctantly. Wei Wuxian and Jiang Cheng too nodded. Then Lan Xichen set out.

After a few minutes Wei Wuxian said, "Zhen needs to take a stroll. I'll take him out. Or else he'll trouble us in the night and if I eat now, I'll be too fulll to go on a walk after that. You both start and I'll join you shortly."

Saying this he took the kitten and walked out without waiting for their reply.

When the two of them left, Jiang Cheng knew Lan Xichen and Wei Wuxian were just giving excuses because, the servant didn't utter a single word to Xichen and hell would freeze over before Wei Wuxian volunteers to take a walk with the kitten.

But he kept his suspicions to himself because he didn't want Lan Zhan to worry or worse try to go after them.

Lan Zhan may not be suspicious of them but he still worried for his Gege's safety. Jiang Cheng saw his distress and knew it was his responsibility to stop him from worrying.

Lan Zhan was reluctant to eat without them but somehow Jiang Cheng convinced him.

He said, "Lan Zhan, come on, let's get you dinner otherwise, Zewu Jun and Wei Wuxian would scold me for keeping you hungry."

Lan Zhan smiled and said, "Gege will not scold you." Jiang Cheng replied,"So you accept Wei Wuxian will definitely scold me for not making you eat. Right"

Lan Zhan laughed covering his mouth with his fingers. Jiang Cheng was glad he made him accept to eat. As they had sat down the whole day while practicing the flutes and Lan Zhan too sat with them, he thought he should make him sit on the bed for a change but knew if he says this Lan Zhan will refuse saying it's not proper manners to eat on bed.