44.

Zuria

I watched as he hung up the phone, making his way over to the small trash can and bringing it over to me.

"Thank you." I spoke softly, looking up into his eyes before he kneeled down in front of me, coming eye level with me.

"Did you eat?" He asked and I nodded slowly.

"Yeah."

"And I've been feeling fine all day up until now." I expressed and he nodded, running a hand down his face.

"Whatchu eat though?" He asked and I thought about it for a second.

"Just cereal this morning and a sandwich when I went on break earlier." I told him as he stood up and plopped down beside me, placing his hand under his chin.

While he sat there in deep thought, I sat there trying my hardest not to throw up again. Which was becoming harder and harder by the second.

"You want to go to the hospital?" He ended up saying, breaking my focus.

"No." I shook my head nervously.

"No. I'm fine." I repeated.

"I think it just might've been the food." I admitted, looking down at my hands while he looked directly at the side of my face.

"Aight." He nodded slowly, still staring at me.

"I'a take you home then but if you throw up again, I'm takin' you to the hospital." He spoke sternly and I nodded in agreement.

"Okay." I spoke barely above a whisper.

Abruptly interrupting us from our conversation, hard knocks came to the door.

"Yo. Come in." Mitch spoke sternly as the door flung opened and Pablo and Jay both came through it.

"What's up, nigga?"

"What's up, Z?" They both spoke as I sat there smiling small.

"Hi." I waved, looking from them to Mitch, who was looking directly at me.

"I'm going to go freshen up." I went onto say to Mitch, becoming nervous by his stare before I slowly stood to my feet and made my way into his office's restroom.

Walking into the bathroom, I closed and locked the door behind me. I nervously looked at myself in the mirror as my mind ran a mile a minute. I knew all of the possibilities for why I could be throwing up but pregnancy was the only one I couldn't stop thinking about.

I can't be pregnant. I thought to myself. I was on birth control.

Though since the move and the fact that everything was so hectic in my life, I hadn't had the time to take them.

But we always use a condom. I thought, trying to think back to a time when we didn't.

"No." I whined, thinking about the family gathering.

"No. No. No." I said to myself, instantly remembering he didn't wear a condom and he definitely didn't pull out of me.

"No." I dropped to my knees, instantly coming to a realization.

I could possibly be pregnant.

*
1 hour later

"I don't want to go, Mitch." I expressed, crying my eyes out as Mitch drove full speed to the hospital.

"Baby, I know but you keep throwing up. I can't just take you home like this." He said, driving with one hand with the other on my thigh.

"Mitch." I whined, just wanting him to turn around.