Chapter 4

I woke up to see the time, that was already 9:30 am. I probably forgot to sleep early AND do homework because of all the fun I had last night.

But the surprising thing was that Emily was up earlier than me. Usually she sleeps in till 11:00 am. And today, she was sitting comfortably on her beanbag watching TV. I rolled my eyes and stretched my arms so I was a bit more awake. As I glided to the bathroom, Emily gave me a quick greet.

"G'morning, sleepyhead!"

I laughed a little, but then I realized that was what I called her when she always sleeps in.

After I freshened up, I made myself some oatmeal for breakfast. We can have our own breakfast on weekends though, but it's not as yummy as the cafeteria food.

Haha, weird...

As I sat down next to Emily, she said, "Did you have fun last night?"

"Yes, I did. I've never had that much fun in my entire life!" I replied enthusiastically.

"Really? I did. What about your family? Didn't they take you to somewhere fun? Even more fun than last night?"

I hesitated a little bit at that question. I don't know what to say.... My parents are divorced, and my mom didn't want to have children, so she sent me here, so basically I have no parents. I only have 1 big sister at the moment. She doesn't come and visit me that often. Then, I just blurted out, "No, no they didn't."

"That's strange. Uh, no offense. Did something happen in your family? You can tell me anything."

I sighed and decided to just tell her what happened.

"My parents are divorced. They got into a horrible fight. So my dad took my six brothers and two sisters, and my mom took me and Rachel, because we chose her over dad. But mom didn't want to have any children, for some reason, so she sent me here. Rachel is in college now. I hope mom regrets what she's done soon..." I sniffed a little, just thinking about my family. Even though they're not together as a family, I still miss them. I missed all the dolls that Rachel gave me, my room, the gourmet meals, comfy beds, mom and dad.

Suddenly, Emily hugged me tight. She smiled sweetly and said, "That's okay. Your family still loves you."

I hugged Emily back. The way she said that was very touching, and it also convinced me that my family still loves me.

~

On Saturday nights, me and Lucy usually hang out in the library, but this time it's with Emily too. Lucy is one of the librarian assistants, so I can always find the books that I need.

We walked and talked on our way. Suddenly, Emily stopped to see the school board. She pointed out her finger as she scanned the board carefully. Emily is the type who always knows what's going on. So every time she likes to check the school board for the latest news.

She squealed as she pointed at a colorful and shiny poster.

"Girls! Look!" she said.

Me and Lucy examined the poster. It said 'Ivy's Girls' Party 2014! Who will be your Queen?'

"The annual party, Emily. So what?" Lucy shrugged.

"Um, what party?" I asked.

"You're new here, Bethany, so you probably don't know," Emily said. "Every year the school will host a party for every girl here at Ivy's Boarding School! It's really fun, and there will always be a Queen chosen during the party."

"But first," Lucy interrupted, in a serious tone. "You must be nominated as Princess first. Each year there will be 5 Princesses nominated, and the one with the most votes gets to be Queen of the year."

"And I think Bethany can do it!" Emily said.

Me and Lucy looked at her like she was crazy. "Me? Queen? No, I can't be queen," I said, forcing myself not to laugh.

"Yes, you can," Emily put her hands on my shoulders. "A Queen means a girl with determination, kindness, caring and beauty in the inside. Bethany, you are a Queen."

"I'm nominating Beth as Princess!" Lucy said, as she took out a pen to write down my name on the poster. "Look, you're competing against Lily, as usual..."

I looked closely at the poster to see Lily Henderson on the top of the list. There were a few other names too, but I don't know them.

The three of us did a group hug before we left the hall into the library.

Hey reader! How do you like my story so far? By the way, school is coming soon, so don't expect new chapters coming out too fast. Just informing you. Thanks for reading, and vote if you liked it and comment your thoughts too! ~Tabi