Chapter 8

It was the night of the last round of Princess nominations. I went to Lucy's bedroom to see them. I was really tired from all the homework just now, my eyes were blacker than a fat panda, I had greasier hair than the lunch lady's dog, and my body felt like jelly.
But when I reached there, Lucy and Emily were standing there, holding makeup brushes and lipstick. Before I could say no - I don't like makeup - they grabbed my hand and spun me on a rolling chair. Emily started styling my hair and Lucy did the makeup.
Lucy was about to apply a touch of eyeshadow, but then stopped, and said "Beth, you don't need much makeup. You're already beautiful."
I blushed as Emily did the finishing touches on my hair. They spun my chair so I could see myself in the mirror. I looked.. Different. Really different. But I like it.
I grinned with satisfaction as I fiddled my hair. Emily stopped me from doing so.
My hair was tied up into a beautiful up do, with some curly hair dropping out onto my forehead. I had a sparkly butterfly pin on my head, and I looked amazing.
"So, what do you think?" Emily asked. "I learned this hairdo in YouTube." She chuckled.
"I think it's amazing," I said, hugging them.
"Now let's bring you to the nominations, shall we, Princess?" Lucy escorted me outside as if I was really a Princess.
In the hallway, my dress was flowing after me, as my hair gently flow in the cold air. I loved how peaceful the hallways were, I didn't like people chattering everywhere around me. I like peace and quiet.
~
I was standing on top of the stage with jelly fingers and toes. I kept blinking at the blurry audience as my head was vibrating like a phone ringing. I think I had stage fright. Emily and Lucy were at the front row this time, cheering me on. Lucy mouthed me four words, "You can do it!"
Suddenly I felt a breath of relief and bravery after she said that. I stood up there confidently, but not as confident as the other girls.
Lily was wearing a gold gown with ribbons and lace, her hair was styled into a sweet french braid, just like the ice girl in the movie Frozen, Elsa.
I had to admit, but she was the prettiest on stage. She was blowing kisses to her fans gracefully. I just rolled my eyes because of the size of her ego.
Then the competitions started. This time, we had to do the catwalk and pose on the stage, as if it was a fashion show. Then, we'd have to say something encouraging to the audience to make them vote for us. I think I could do this one. The last time I went to a beauty pageant was when I was 4 years old, I won the consolation prize. That's enough experience, right?
The first Princess was Lily, of course. She did the catwalk perfectly on the runway. At the end she posed gracefully with one hand on her hip, and the other flipping her gorgeous hair.
Principal Ivy rolled her eyes as she passed the microphone to Lily.
Lily grabbed the microphone from her mom's hand hastily. She narrowed her eyes and frowned, then Principal Ivy scowled, but quickly recovered her anger.
"If you vote for moi," Lily began. "I'll be handing out free makeovers to all the desperate and ugly girls! I'll also be handing out new dresses, Chloė purses, and many more! Vote for moi! Thanks, bæs!" She blew kisses to the crowd with her smile that was as big as her ego. I almost vomited right there.
I ignored all the other girls who stepped front to deliver their messages. But soon enough, I found myself standing at the edge of the catwalk, grasping onto a microphone with sweat in my hands.
I quickly recovered it so no one would see. I tucked a small piece of my hair behind my ear as I begin to speak. I cleared my throat and then fiddled a little with my feet.
Finally, I spoke.
"Uh, hey," I said. "Uh, um.... Just to let you know, I'm not the kind of girl with 6-inch heels with earrings. I'm not beautiful, cute or anything. But I know I'm beautiful in the inside. Every girl is. Some of them don't feel it yet. They still feel it in the outside, which is unfortunate. But like they say, beauty is the size of your heart, not the size of your genes. Vote for me, Bethany!"
Then everybody stood up and clapped. They clapped! Oh wow!
I could never believe it. I was standing on stage, giving a wonderful speech in a beauty pageant! That's so unreal. But it's a dream, right?
Not...

Hey! How'd you like my story so far? And yes, it's true, beauty is the size of your heart and not the size of your genes. Don't care too much about your appearance, but be aware with your heart. Nobody is beautiful but nobody is ugly either. You just have to believe in yourself. :) Thanks for reading till this far, hope you enjoyed it.. Vote, follow and comment your thoughts! :) -Tabi