Chapter 2 - Are the Games still on?

A / N: Hope you liked the first chapter;) Happy reading and may the odds be ever in your favor! And yes, Cornelia Dovecote is Clementia Dovecote's granddaughter. TBOSAS! Sorry there's not many pics in this chapter. (m_m)

Me, Avita, and Cornelia rush to the stone wall, just in time to see Grandfather coughing up so much foamy blood that he sinks down the pole and collapses on the stone floor. Katniss is being hauled back by two Peacekeepers, and the rebels are surging forward, attacking Grandfather. Avoxes are pulling the three of us back into the mansion, and we have no choice but to follow. Avita grabs my hand and gives it an encouraging squeeze. Then she lets go of my hand and we are all taken to our bedrooms. Cornelia gives us a wink as she climbs up the ladder, back into the attic. That's her way of saying, 'Meet me later.' 

I go into my bedroom and walk over to the window. The Avox shuts the door, leaving me on my own once again. I don't think they realise that my bedroom has the window looking out over the front of the mansion. I drag my plush seat over to the window and look out at the chaos unfolding below. The rebels are being forced out of the City Circle, and instead of Coin, another woman is stood on the balcony. She is young, with darker skin like Cornelia's, and her hair is piled up on top of her head. What was her name again? Paylor, I think. Oh yeah, she is a big rebel leader. Then I remember about Cornelia.

I slip out of my bedroom door, silently shutting it behind me, and creep up to the attic. I'm surprised to find Avita is there already, as she hasn't left her room for days. 

"I was just telling Avita what you told me," Cornelia says, and my face must make an odd expression because then she says, "That's not a problem, is it?"

"No, of course not," I say, which is a complete and utter lie. For all Avita is at least four years older than me and Cornelia, she couldn't keep a secret if the earth depended on it. One minute she is promising not to tell, and the next the whole Capitol knows! It gets seriously annoying, and she'd better keep this is a secret, because if not, well, I don't even want to think about the consequences of that. 

"Great! Well then, watch this, apparently it's important,' says Cornelia, and a large screen is projected onto the ceiling. We all lie down on the silky bed, watching it. How can Cornelia do this all the time? It's very uncomfortable. Anyway, the Panem flag and anthem appears, and then the balcony, with Paylor stood on it. She begins to speak.

"Good afternoon, Panem. I know that this has been a very eventful afternoon, and not necessarily in a positive way," Paylor says. "I would like to inform you that Coriolanus Snow has died from medical problems, and you could say that we was drowning in his own blood from the inside out. Gruesome, I know, but the other news I must tell you is that an emergency election is being held this afternoon to determine the next President. The candidates will be myself, Plutarch Heavensbee, and Beetee Latier from District 3. Everyone must vote, and we will let you know the results tomorrow at noon. There will be another broadcast in an hour, to update you on everything, and for those who missed this. Make sure you are watching that, because there is some very big news to share. For now though, follow the instructions you are given, make sure you are watching in an hour, and may the odds be ever in your favour!" The screen plays the anthem once more and cuts out.

"So...what do we do now? I've heard there's propos on until the next broadcast, and I've had enough of them for a lifetime," says Avita. We sit up on the bed.

"I've got a dress that needs finishing off. You're welcome to stay if you like," Cornelia says, going over to her sewing machine. 

"Ok then. And do you mind if I try one on? There's a dress on the rail over there that I adore," I say. I had to ask now, because when else will I get a chance?