Chapter 13 -The Nightshire Brothers

I carefully descend from the big tree, which is considerably easier to climb up than down, as I keep slipping on patches of damp moss and landing on the floor with very sore hands and aching. I think the poisonous fog has done something to the nerves in my feet, as every minute or so a spasm will take place and I'll nearly fall over, but I doubt it's permanent damage; and I'm hoping the spasms will be gone by tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I am unsteady and dizzy, too, although I know that that's for an entirely different reason: Dehydration. My throat is dry and there is next to no saliva in my mouth to moisten my tongue. I won't be able to go on much longer, that's for sure. My is spinning as I approach the stream. Even though the pain is more intense when I look side to side, it is essential to do so if I don't want to be murdered by sunrise. 

Only when I get close do I realise that there are actually two streams. They are identical: running in the same direction, bending in all the same places; but there must be a catch, right? 

Oh. I bet one of them is poison. In secret over the past few years, I have been studying poisons, mostly what they look like compared to water. I have books on it hidden at the back of my wardrobe. So you'd think think I'd know exactly which one is poison, right? 

Wrong.

I'm confused. I know exactly which poison it must be, but I don't know how to tell which one it is. This poison was only developed a few years ago, so there's only so much information I have on it. It's called Azaria, and less than a minute after you've consumed it, it enters your bloodstream. It is a slow death, and extremely gruesome. Your skin begins to dissolve into dust, starting at your feet and working it's way up until all that's left is a heap of organs and bones. It's horrible. I don't know which stream to drink from! One will kill me within minutes, the other will keep me alive. I'm about to fill my flask with liquid from one of the streams when I hear a twig snap.I haven't seen any wildlife or animals around here, so no doubt it's a tribute. I start my quiet retreat, but it's too late.

I've been spotted.

"Hey, Caspian! Look! It's midget!" says a voice that I recognise as his brother's. I'd forgotten about him until now. Hurriedly I scoop some liquid into my water flask and make a bolt for it. I'll just have to hope I chose the right stream. I run as fast as I can, through trees and past bushes, trying to find a suitable tree to scale. I can hear the Nightshire's footsteps close behind me, and I don't hesitate when I see another great big oak tree up ahead; one with some low branches that should be easy to get up. Suddenly I sense something coming, and I lean to the left, just in time too, as a spear flies by and lodges itself into the oak tree. They have better aim than I'd thought.

I reach the tree quickly, using the spear as another foothold and bending it in the process. I have a lot of experience with climbing trees, as the mansion's grounds are huge, and luckily I know that Caspian and - Cedric, was he called? - they live in a penthouse suite so they shouldn't have nearly as much skill as I do. I am a third of the way up already as they reach the base of the tree. 

I glance down to see them laughing over how stupid I've been, and they are making camp. I wonder where they've been getting their water supply from. Most likely sponsors, as they are both tall, good looking, and strong; they tick all the boxes. I keep climbing until I find a good branch to sit on, and make myself comfortable too. If I'm honest with myself, climbing this tree wasn't the smartest route to take. I am now stuck until either they or I die from one thing or another.

The odds are definitely not in my favour right now. 

The sun is large on the horizon and if I don't get something to drink by then of the day then I will die. No doubt about it. Another cannon sounds. I wonder who it was. If it was Avita I will never get over her death. If I die in this arena, I want Avita to win it for the Snows. If not her, then Violet, although that's highly unlikely looking at the sort of weapons the Nightshire brothers have got: multiple spears packed into a special kind of bag, knives, a sword, and even a couple of spiked maces. 

With Flavius dead, these two just became everyone's biggest competition.

A/N: Just wanna say I didn't come up with the poison, my friend did. And what it does. Anyway, may the odds be ever in your favour! :)