Chapter 17 - Last Month's Incident

(I'ma start from the end of Avita's yelling so it doesn't start all weird :)

...I know you Gamemakers can see this, even if the public can't, and here's what I think: You can take your bleeding Games, Plutarch Heavensbee, and shove 'em up your ar-" she looks at me"- nose! Shove 'em up your nose, Plutarch Heavensbee!"

And with that she throws her mace at the wall, destroying the camera and good chunk of wall, too.

(Ok next chapter!)

Then she starts crying. Luckily it's not full on wailing this time, just sobs stifled by the grubby sleeve of her jacket. I make an excuse to do with my painful shoulders and lie back down. Not long after, Avita rests her head and the snoring begins. It's a good job we're hidden underground because if we were above ground level we would be hunted down in an instant, thanks to Avita's loud snores. As she sleeps, memories start filling my head. Mostly about what happened a month ago with the boy that broke my heart and will never see or hear from me again. Back in the Capitol on a small road just off Main Street. After that I vowed never to speak to him again. Never in all the days I live. Which is a bit ironic now, because here I am in the Hunger Games, and I can count on my fingers the amount of days I have left. I bet he's smirking now. Or remembering. Either way, I tell myself, I don't care about him anymore, about me and him. It's over. No letter in an envelope could change it now. 

**Flashback Thingy**

It was the evening, and a small group of us were heading back to our houses after having been swimming. Me and Violet wer ein out bikinis and the boys were in swimming trunks; we were all barefoot, but we didn't care. First Violet went home, then the other boys did. It was just me and him. He seemed very laid-back, but I wasn't. I'd has a crush on him for ages, and that swimming trip was the first time he'd ever noticed me or acknowledged my existence. At least, so I thought. 

Anyway, as we neared his house, he turned round to face me and said, "Can I, er, tell you something?" Puzzled, I'd stood there for a moment, shocked that he was talking to me of all people, before saying, "Um, sure, okay."

"Well, the thing is, I've had this crush on you for a little while and I was just wondering if you'd maybe like to, erm, go out?" he'd said, his blond hair falling over his flushed face. I could feel my own face blushing like crazy.

"Um, yeah, sure, ok," I'd said, stammering over every word. Then he hugged me and ran off.

I had walked home that night, thinking about what was supposed to happen next. I'd never had a boyfriend before, so I was utterly clueless about what to do. After a while I figured it out, and the next month was spent hanging out together, getting teased by everyone we knew, and just having a good time. 

Until I saw Flavius Ashgrove hand gim that envelope. I hid behind a corner and watched as he opened it and pulled out seventy-five dollars. Shocked and upset that he had been paid by Flavius Ashgrove of all people to date me, I cried myself to sleep for a number of nights. Not surprisingly, the week after, he approached me and said, "Listen, Celestia, I've had a great time hanging out with you, but I, uh -"

"I know about the money," I'd said; his face was a picture. "So call me what you want and talk all you want behind my back, but I'm not a cash machine, so you can bog off and leave me alone." Then I'd stormed off but as soon as I got home I cried. I was heartbroken. I'd genuinely thought that he liked me, but it was all for show. All for money. I haven't spoken to him since.

**Flashback Thing Over**

I open my eyes and realise that I've been crying. The of my t-shirt is wet and my nose is running. I sniff. 

"Are you okay?" Avita whispers into the darkness, making me jump. 

"I'm fine," I say, but my voice goes all high-pitched at the end of my sentence so it sounds like I'm really not. 

"I'm not stupid," she replies. "Anyway, not to be rude, but can you keep watch for a while? I haven't slept in a long time and I'm a complete pain if I lose too much sleep."

"Fair enough. But I'm going to be the total pain if you don't stop snoring, so you can get some shut eye if you promise to shut up."

"Whatever. I promise to shut up," she says, and we smile. 

A/N: Bit of a filler chapter, but hope you still liked it.