Chapter sixteen

Daniel woke up real late that morning. He stayed late at work and didn't get home until around eleven. Not acknowledging that it's past noon. Getting up since he's got work today and have to leave in fifteen minutes.

He took a five minute shower, getting dressed into his work clothing. Taking a piece of toast with strawberry jam. Getting his runners on Daniel took the toast and left for work.

Making his way to Petro Canada gas station. Parking his car in the parking lot behind the building where the workers park their vehicles. Walking around the building entering through the entrance. 

"Good afternoon Daniel."

"Good afternoon Chester."

"Ready to take over?"

"Ready as I'll ever be."

Chester left from behind the counter once Daniel put his things away in the back. Daniel had a busy day, customers coming and going to pay for their treats or gas. At some point in the day Chester came back from his break and helped out. They got a few teens coming and going to get their treats. 

It has been a long day but the two enjoyed as they struck up conversations in between waiting which wasn't very long since people kept coming and going. This is one of those days that Daniel likes, busy days just to keep him busy and not feeling bored. 

He went on his dinner break for half an hour while Chester dealt with the people. After his time is up, it wasn't as busy as earlier. As the time went on, fewer people showed up then it was down to one person at the counter. Daniel cleaned the slushie section that someone accidently dropped a few minutes ago. 

As he finished someone came through the door. Daniel peeked over the isles to see someone dressed in all black clothing, Hood pulled over his head. 

The guy went up to the freezer section of the pop, got out seven pops, five coke and two pepsi. He watched the guy go up Chester not once looking back towards Daniel. He wonders why this shady guy needs seven pop cans for just one guy.

As he's putting away the mop and the bucket in the back closet, the door opened once again in walking someone with the same clothing. This time he's coming towards Daniel. 

"Anthony?"

"Daniel, do you have a washroom?"

"Yeah first door to your left."

"Thanks." 

Anthony moved down into the washroom. Daniel made his way over to the counter. "Is that all for you . . . sir."

"Hellwood, yes that's all for me."

"Hellwood? What brings you here?" Daniel asked moving behind the counter. 

"Getting some drinks for the road and the guys."

"Ahh."

"When are you off work Daniel?"

"Ten minutes or so."

Hellwood nodded as Anthony came to meet them. "Alright, I'm going to leave since my shift is over, mind waiting for the night shift guy?"

"Yeah. Night Chester."

"Night."

Chester left through the back getting his stuff to go home. When he's out the door away from them, the boys started talking. "Here's you're coke buddy."

"Thanks Hellwood." Daniel took the coke and put it aside for now. Anthony took out his phone out reading the text he's got. "Robert and Nathan are coming in while Latch is outside filling up the gas tank and washing the window." 

"What about Carmin?"

"Owen's helping wash the windows."

In walks in Nathan and Robert. "We are going to wait for you while your shift ends, then you can changed and we're off for the night," Nathan responds coming up to the counter with the rest of them.

"Am I missing something here?" Daniel asks. 

"What do you mean?" asked Robert.

"We usually go around midnight. It's only half past ten," he pointed out.

"We're going a bit earlier since your shift is ending soon. There's no point in you going home just to come out again. So yeah we're going a but earlier than usual."

"I guess. Last night was a hassle since I barely got any rest before we left."

"Exactly." Anthony said. 

It didn't take long for the night shift guy to come. Once they exchanged a good night, Daniel headed towards the back grabbed his stuff coming out just as the guy was getting settled in. Hellwood handed Daniel his clothing. 

Getting changed in the bathroom, Daniel snuck out without him getting noticed by the kid as he's too busy stalking the shelves at the back. "Evening Daniel."

"Evening Latch a great night to kill isn't it."

"It sure is."

Everyone gathered up in the truck and Latch drove off into the night. 

"Ready Marley?" Anthony asked Daniel.

"Sure am Killian."