eighteen

Chapter 18-

Theresa looked at her reflection in the mirror, sighing in frustration as she smoothed the wrinkles from her floor-length dress

The dress, a deep shade of royal blue, was beautiful, but something about it didn't feel quite right. She shifted her weight from foot to foot, contemplating whether she should change back into her pajamas and stay home. After declining Mike's invitation and everything that happened in the past week, she didn't feel it was the right time to attend a dance. Not too long ago, she was discharged from the hospital, and her injuries were still causing her pain.

Due to the pain, Theresa hadn't attended school, and because of her absences, she was technically not allowed to go to prom. But when Alice stopped by the house with the royal blue dress Theresa loved, she couldn't refuse the kind gesture. She thought the dress may have been too much for a junior prom, but Alice quickly got rid of the worrying thought by telling her, "You're friends with the Cullens now; everything we do is extra."

Theresa's nerves were wrecked as she prepared for the night ahead, and the prospect of seeing Jasper at prom was only adding to her anxiety. The two of them hadn't spoken since his hospital visit. Even though Alice and the rest of the Cullens (even Rosalie) had come to check on Theresa, Jasper had never contacted her. He didn't bother to call or even send a text message; there was no sign of communication from him whatsoever.

Theresa walked closer to the mirror, double-checking her makeup. She turned her head to the side and moved her freshly curled hair out of the way, checking the bite mark on her neck. As Alice had taught her, she did her best to cover the bruises and cuts, but bike marks aren't easily hidden. Theresa covered it with a bandage and then applied makeup to make it less noticeable.

Satisfied with her attempts to conceal the marks, Theresa let her hair down and stood straight. She took a deep breath and hoped her efforts would work. After one last glance in the mirror, Theresa stepped into her heels and adjusted them before leaving her bedroom. She carefully walked down the attic steps, her heels tapping against the hardwood floor with each step.

As Theresa reached the bottom of the stairs, she saw Bella walking out of her bedroom. Her long brown hair was styled in curls, and she wore a short, blue halter-style dress with a floral pattern that allowed room for her leg cast. Although prom was supposed to be a good time, Bella had a frown on her face.

"What's wrong?" Theresa asked her cousin.

Bella sighed, "I don't want to go to this. Edward is forcing me; he says it's a 'rite of passage.'" Bella rolled her eyes as she repeated Edward's statement.

"He's right," Theresa said. "I didn't save your life for you to sit in your room instead of going to prom," she added.

Bella shook her head at her cousin but still let a smile reach her lips, "You look amazing, Tess. Jasper won't be able to take his eyes off of you."