prologue

Theresa looked out of the window of the police car as her uncle and godfather, Charlie, drove her to her new home

Her father grew up here, in Forks, before meeting her mother, a New York native, and falling in love.

They moved into a small apartment in Brooklyn together and the rest is history. They were married within a year and nine months later, Theresa was born. Sometimes, Theresa wondered if how quickly the marriage happened was the cause of the downfall of it.

A week before Theresa moved to Forks, Washington, her mother packed up her bags and left. No note, no text, no calls, nothing. Meanwhile, her father just sat on the recliner in the living room drinking as Theresa ran out looking for her mother, looking for any sign that she was taken against her own will, but sadly she soon learned that she left because she wanted to, not because she was forced to.

Theresa always had a tough life. She wasn't ever the popular girl or the girl who could make friends easily. When she left Brooklyn the only goodbye she gave was to her father, who just took a swig of his beer as he sat in his recliner, watching the TV.

Theresa had no time to even think about what had happened to her in the past few days. All she knew was that the last time she heard her father's voice was when he called Charlie. Next thing she knew she was on a plane to Forks, Washington.

She hasn't even had time to process what has happened. She had to move to Forks quickly. She still remembers her dad handing her the phone and Charlie speaking on his behalf.

"Hey kid, your dad needs some time to himself so you're gonna come stay with me for a while."

She remembers staring at her father in shock as Charlie struggled to explain how fast her life was going to change.

When Charlie had picked Theresa up in his police cruiser from the airport he apologized for how quickly the change had happened. Charlie explained that he is the Chief of Police in Forks and a lot of animal attacks have been happening, so he couldn't be gone from Forks for too long. Theresa felt like that car ride was his therapy session, considering that after he explained the rush, he continued to tell her how stressful his job can be.

As Charlie drove the cruiser through the small and rainy town, Theresa decided two things about it. The first one being about the weather. Forks was a coastal town, but without the sun. She loved the rain and the cold weather the town provided while also having access to a beach.

"Here we are!" Charlie said, trying to be enthusiastic, but ultimately failing, as they pulled up to the house.

Charlie quickly parked in the driveway and opened his door, stepping out of the car.

Theresa sighed before doing the same, opening the car door and stepping out into the rain.

"Home sweet home!" Charlie said as he opened the trunk of the police vehicle, grabbing Theresa's bags.

"Bella should be home soon, she's out with her boyfriend right now," Charlie said as Theresa smiled and nodded.

She felt bad for not being conversational with her uncle, but she couldn't help it. She hadn't met him before and the first time she did it was because he was now her caretaker.

As Theresa began to walk up the driveway behind Charlie she heard a tree branch snap from behind her, causing her to turn around quickly.

"Tess! You okay?" Charlie asked his niece as he stood on the front steps, noticing that Theresa had stopped walking.

Theresa nodded and began to walk towards the front door again and held it open after Charlie walked into the house. As Theresa stood there with the front door of the house wide open, raindrops falling onto the already wet ground, and clouds taking over the sky, she thought about the second thing she decided about Forks. There were secrets in Forks, a lot of them.