Chapter 21

Aaliyah

I fell asleep with my phone last night in hopes that Michael would call me again, but he didn't. Hopefully, I didn't let him slip away while being stubborn cause if so, I'll have to fight for him and it will take some pride to do so. I gently stretch in my bed, but freeze as I hear shuffling and soft breathing.

My eyes slowly open and I turn around in my bed to face my room only to be startled out of my sleepiness as my room is completely full. Bianca, Devante, Rebbie, Janet and even Latoya is here, though she looks a little uncomfortable and the only one out of place. I lift my head slowly and cover my mouth as a yawn escapes.

"Um, good morning everyone. Did I miss something exciting while I was asleep that has you all here right now?" I joke, but I know something is wrong as no one laughs or even cracks a smile.

I start feeling uncomfortable as everyone is just staring and it's now as I lock eyes with Janet and see her swollen and bruised face, that I'm sure something did happen, but not anything close to exciting. I sit up entirely and look at Bianca, hoping she'll tell me what everyone's so far failing to do so, but she looks to be holding Devante together right now. His hazel eyes are bloodshot red and lifeless. I've never seen him like this.

It's scaring me.

But not so much as the fact that Michael seems to be the only one not here, and it's now that bad thoughts are invading my mind.

"What the fuck happened? Why are y'all like this, I'm not fucking stupid! Tell me!" I suddenly snap, hating this panic pounding in my chest. Latoya steps forward and it shocks me, but as she opens her mouth, only a sob comes out and she looks embarrassed as she clamps a hand over her mouth. Janet takes action and embraces her sister and I widen my eyes at how emotional she just got. Rebbie finally steps forward.

"Aaliyah, we all came her to be your support in this... something horrible happened earlier this morning. Our father returned and invaded our home." She speaks shakily and I sift through her words and analyze them with the knowledge I have about their father, thanks to Michael.

Their father is a dangerous man who hates one of his children and to my understanding was plotting to come back and hurt her. It makes sense, Janet's face being a swollen bruised mess. He got to her. I place a hand to my chest.

"Oh my god Janet, are you alright?" I asked in concern and she frowns.

"Better than I should be. I-" She stops as if it pains her to continue and I widen my eyes in shock as Bianca speaks out frantically and impatiently.

"Go on and fucking tell her already! Stop building her up to it!" She snaps and I stare at her with wide eyes, but then look back to Rebbie who is now a sniffling, crying mess. She opens her mouth and everything she says next is like being speared in the chest with flaming arrows...

"Michael saved our lives last night... for the exchange of his." She croaks and tears instantly spring to my eyes, but Devante growls out, angrily.

"He's not fucking dead! Stop saying that shit!"

"He's not pulling through either! It's over!" Rebbie cries out and I place my hands on my head in a panic, breathing heavily.

"Wait... wait, please stop. I don't understand I-" I try to form what I want to ask so I can know what I desperately, at this moment, need to know but Janet continues to embrace a broken Latoya as she gives me a rundown.

"Our father broke into our house last night and kept my siblings and our mother at gun point until I came home, which then Michael proceeded to keep me protected from our so called father, knowing he wouldn't shoot his only son... but Michael helped me escape and we all were wrong. He shot Michael-"