Ch 3: Meeting the Stylists

A loud sound of clapping thunder followed by a forked lightning woke Xiaojun up from his deep slumber. He could feel his surroundings moving but he didn't have a clue as to where he was or how he'd got there.

The Mayor ... Gunshots ... Red ...

Blood! Xiaojun's eyes snapped open. He was lying in a moving car, a black limousine to be exact. His body felt sore like he'd just been hit by a truck.

"Xiaojun!" Said Solar, who looked extremely white nearly matching her white nurse uniform. 'How're you feeling?" She asked, concerned.

It was as though Xiaojun's memory was on fast forward. He remembered the last image of the dying Mayor gasping for his last breath. Groaning slowly, Xiaojun sat up sluggishly.

"The Mayor, he's really dead, isn't he?"

Ignoring Solar's previous question as he was afraid that he might have hurt her feelings if he honestly answered that he felt like shit, Xiaojun asked her. He knew the answer but he wanted to be sure. Solar nodded.

Xiaojun heaved a deep sigh. It was not a dream then. He was supposed to feel relieved by the death of the man who brought nothing but disgrace to their City but why did he feel empty?

"Wait. Then how did? Did I fall asleep right after or something?" Xiaojun scratched his head in confusion.

"No. It was the guards. They slammed you hard onto the floor after they shot the Mayor so you kind of passed out after that." Solar answered. Xiaojun noticed the red mark on her face but felt that it would be better not to ask.

She hated that her people and Xiaojun could do nothing but to accept the rough and unfair treatment by the guards. When they slammed Xiaojun with such an intense force, she went to one of them and clawed them in the face to stop them. She was afraid that Xiaojun might crack his skull or something from the force.

Thankfully, he just passed out but she also suffered a slap in the face from them. Their ruthless behaviors truly matched a beast. In fact, there was not a doubt in her mind that the hospital was going to have a field day after both her and Xiaojun left.

Some found the death of the Mayor as the wake up call for reformation or simply want to seek revenge, had impulsively attacked the two guards which in turn caused more blood to unncessarily spill that day. They were unarmed and the guards didn't care.

She envied Xiaojun who was unable to witness all the horrible chaos and the blood spill that happened that day. She was sure that the gory images will turn into nightmares tonight. Forget sleeping. She had nightmares nearly everyday anyway.

"They attacked me? Why?" Xiaojun's eyes widened in shock. Don't tell him..

"They thought you and the Mayor were in cahoots in this whole thing." Solar answered, affirming Xiaojun's suspicion. He froze.

"Yeah, no shit, Sherlock." Xiaojun said, his words dripping with sarcasm.

"You do?" Solar turned her head to Xiaojun with her mouth hung open.

"You're smarter than them, Solar so please don't make me think otherwise." Xiaojun answered coldly. He turned his head to watch the outside view from the window.

This City is unfamiliar to him. The only familiar thing will be the woman who was now engrossed in watching the small TV in front of her. The TV displayed a young man wearing round glasses introducing the Cities, history stuff that Xiaojun wasn't  interested in like at all. The young man looked a lot like Harry Potter though. He shrugged.

His body felt sore, courtesy of the hit from the guards but his heart was beating loudly. He hadn't made a proper goodbye to the two closest persons he had ever had to a family.