37: a few things

The news of Clay Jensen being a possible murderer hit the school faster than any news had ever hit it before, sure, finding out Bryce was dead had been massive news but the fact that the police thought the person who did it was another student mad...

The news of Clay Jensen being a possible murderer hit the school faster than any news had ever hit it before, sure, finding out Bryce was dead had been massive news but the fact that the police thought the person who did it was another student made things more complicated than they thought. When starting Liberty High, Clay was just another quiet student that didn't have many friends but had a love of robots and that classed him as someone not interesting enough to get to know. But ever since he became friends with Hannah Baker, things had changed.

Now, everyone at Liberty knew who he was and his reputation was getting more renowned every day. Everyone knew what he had done with the tapes leaked and now they all believed that he was capable of killing Bryce, getting his revenge on the person that had not only messed up his life, but had messed up all of his friends' lives too. It made sense and the police believed the story too; they believed that Clay had the balls to do something like this and people had started to believe him. The only person that was convinced that Clay had nothing to do with the incident was Justin but he hadn't handled that well either.

Instead of proving to everyone that his friend wasn't capable of murder, he tried to blame other people for the incident and had ended up losing friends because of it. Not only did he blame one of his best friends, without any real evidence but he had also brought up the idea to Lily, who was the girlfriend of the accused. She had tried to change his opinion but Justin was stubborn and decided that if she didn't believe him then she obviously knew something about that night that nobody else did.

Teachers had no hope of getting any work done in their classes as the students talked about possible strategies and read articles online that people had written about the issue. Even in the meeting that the football team were having to discuss their next game, the players couldn't focus. Some of them were forced around a table with Coach, looking at plays for the season but the ones that were worried about the whole situation stayed away from the others.

Zach was worried about everyone finding out his secret, well, one person in particular finding out his secret when he didn't want to lose her. He knew that what he had done was unforgivable but he was scared that it would not only get him into trouble but it would also cause harm to one person that he cared about more than anything else. Despite being in school, he wasn't really in school and all he could think about was his massive secret, when it was going to be uncovered and what would happen when he came clean about Homecoming night. He didn't want to hurt anyone else, but he knew that eventually he would have to and he wasn't looking forward to it.

Sat at the desks behind him were Charlie St. George and Montgomery De La Cruz; two members of the football team that were known throughout the school. Monty was known for being Bryce's best friend towards the ned of his life, both of them having bad tempers that would usually end with them in fights and at parties where they would take drugs to release them from pressure at home. Monty knew exactly what he had done to several people at Liberty, knew how much he had hurt them and didn't seem to care because he had a much bigger secret that he didn't want anyone to find out about, but it was nothing to do with Bryce.