|3|

Dinner was awfully quiet considering the fact that everyone was present.

Ian somehow made it home for dinner despite his busy college slash model schedule and Aaron blew off his parties.

Dad wasn't supposed to be home and I knew that for a fact. He's an on air personality for What's good, Canada? and he anchors about three different programs. Mom also gets back home from work late.

The point is, none of us should be having dinner right now because we're all meant to be occupied.

The silence was awkward. It's odd for the Lakes family to eat like an actual family.

Dad clears his throat and everyone's head is snapped to his direction, waiting for him to clear the air.

"I got promoted", he said in his normal clipped tone which is apparently his casual tone.

I was shocked. Aaron didn't seem to care but myself and Ian showed our surprise.

Ian was brave enough to ask Archibald, "Could you please elaborate, dad?"

Dad raised a brow. "What more is there to say? I've been promoted. I will divulge the rest of the news when I get posted to the country I'll be working in".

Huh?

So apparently dad got promoted and he's gonna get transferred to another freaking country?

Mom spoke softly to add levity, "Your father decided that having a family meal would be a good way to celebrate his transfer". Her smile was tight lipped.

Well isn't this a jolly celebration?

What bothered me was the whole transfer to another country thing. If that happened then the whole family would move and it would interfere with our lives - school included.

Dinner was uneventful apart from dad's news. I had assignments due in a few weeks and I had to review my notes so I can uphold my straight A game at school. But at this point in my life, after surviving a horrible day at school and in general, I needed a companion.

I rapped my knuckles against his door, whining his name and scratching my nails on the wood just so he could let me in.

I was about to knock again when a shirtless Aaron yanked open the door.

I smiled at his angry face.

Grinning innocently at him, I walked into his room and made myself comfy on the bed.

Aaron is my second older brother. Ian's the first. Aaron's my favorite.

"What do you want, Bay?" He asked dragging his hands across his face.

"Can't your little sister just come in here and hang with you?"

He gave me the cut-the-bullshit face and I sighed, my smile dropping.

Aaron laid next to me and we both had our eyes fixed upon the ceiling.

"Would you date your ex even though they did like major shit to you or like the people you loved?"

He clasped his arms around his head, "No".

"But what if said ex has changed and is willing to prove to you that they will be better-"

"Bay-"

"-and you give them one more chance just so they can prove it-"

"Bay-"

"-you look past their mistakes and focus more on the good they've got going on the inside, blocking out the bad they portray on the outsi-"

"Bay!" Aaron yelled turning to look at me with furrowed brows.

I bit my lip. "Aaron please take Rania back".

He looked at me like I'd grown testicles on my forehead.

"You're shitting me right?" I wanted to talk but he cut me off and sat up straight. "Where's this coming from, though? You're the same person that bugged me till I broke up with Rania and I did after realizing the kind of person she really is".

"Except I was wrong before and now I think you should take her back because I-"

"I don't dig bullies".

Rania's threat was so fresh in my mind and the mere thought of it, the thought of the promise her threat held brought tears to my eyes.

She was going to make my life a living hell. That was what she did. I'd seen her and the rest of the Kahunas bully people to the point of tears and worse. I'd seen the emotional damage Rania inflicted on people and knowing that I was going to be one of them just... scared me.

I didn't notice when the tears trickled down my cheeks, neither did I notice Aaron wrap his arms around me.

"Rania's gonna make me suffer cause I broke you two up", I sniffed.

"No she's not", he said. "I'll talk to her."

I wriggled out of his embrace and frowned at him, "Oh my God, please don't do anything". I bounced up from his bed, wiping my tears away and forcing out a laugh. "You know what? Forget I said anything. Love you, goodnight".

And then I bolted.

I didn't sleep well that night.