Chapter 10

DISCLAIMER: I OWN NOTHING!

GRADY

Perseus Jackson is terrifying. He cuts his way through monsters like Edaline cuts through mallowmelt. The manic smile on his face just solidifies my idea that he isn't in control of himself right now. Percy can fight, but he doesn't enjoy it, as I could tell from our training sessions.

So when Percy controls the Minotaur and makes it scream in pain, I know that this isn't him. He's been consumed by the battle, leaving behind... this.

I almost scream when he releases control of the monster. What does he think he's doing? But I relax when he slashes through it easily.

Percy looks towards us, taking in our fear, knowing it's his fault. I know how he feels. I have felt the same way many, many, times. When Percy falls to the ground, looking as if he's shattered, I am not surprised.

He buries his head in his hands, and I can feel the misery pouring off of him as if it's tangible. I move to go to him, but Sophie pulls me back. "Remember, avoid his back." I nod and continue forward.

I kneel next to him. "Shh, Percy. It'll be okay. When we get back, I'll train you better."

He chokes. "No, I-I promised her. No more. 'Some things aren't meant to be controlled.'"

What? I don't understand. "We can talk about this later, okay, Percy? Right now, we need to save Keefe."

Percy straightens. "Yes. Keefe."

I marvel at this boy's loyalty. All he needs is someone to save, and he's back to his strong self.

We all walk into the cave, following Sophie, who is finding Keefe with her thoughts. Finally, we reach the end of the cavern, where Lady Gisela and Vespera are waiting. Keefe is there too, looking terrified. "Sophie! I told you not to come!"

Sophie smiles softly. I scowl. Sophie doesn't have to be single. But she also doesn't need to have a crush on two people at once. Wait. Nope, not focusing on Sophie's love life. We are saving Keefe.

"I know you told us not to come, Keefe. But we are going to win this time."

Lady Gisela scoffs. "You will never win. We knew you were going to come. You are predictable, easy to fool. We know your every move."

Percy steps into the light. "Do you know my every move?"

KEEFE

That stupid, stubborn Sophie Foster! Why is she here? I told her to stay far away. I can't stop the Neverseen from making me make them turn against each other, or kill themselves, or anything. These stupid cuffs.

Sophie smiles at me. "I know you told us not to come, Keefe. But we are going to win this time."

My mom laughs. "You will never win. We knew you were going to come. You are predictable, easy to fool. We know your every move."

A figure moves out of the shadows. As I can see more, I realize it's a man. He has messy black hair and piercing sea-green eyes. He's tall and powerful, but I realize I can feel his emotions like I can Sophie's. This man has felt more pain than anyone should ever have to feel.

"Do you know my every move?"

His voice is deep and forceful. I sincerely hope that he's on Sophie's side. If not, we're all doomed.

My mom looks confused. That's good. If she's confused that means she doesn't know who this guy is. It also means she doesn't know how to control him. "So, Sophie, you managed to get someone I don't know about on your team. Good job. That still doesn't mean you can expect victory against us."