Chapter 16

I own nothing! :)

PERCY

Councillor Terik sighs. "I would reprimand you for threatening the Council, but capturing the Neverseen is far more important. Shall we begin?"

I roll my eyes. "Um, yes! I thought that was a given."

One by one, Councillors come forward and bless the pile of items. They place the jewel on their circlet to the pile, and whisper... something under their breath.

As soon as Councillor Darek places his ruby to the prized possessions, a bright flash envelopes the room. When we can see again, we are standing outside of a cave. We can vaguely see outlines of people walking around in the darkness. Then, every five seconds, more people appear with confused noises and shrieks.

Suddenly, a glowing dome, like the one that Marella trapped me in at the beginning of it all, covers the cave entrance. We can finally see the people inside, who I realize are all wearing black cloaks with white eyes on them. My blood boils as I realize that this is the organization that killed everyone I love. I take a deep breath in, pushing down my rage and the raw, volatile power that is bubbling inside me.

And then one of them walks to the edge of the cave.

They flip off their hood.

And she smiles.

Lady Gisela. Keefe's horrible mother. I've only heard stories, but I hate her already.

She laughs. I think she's insane. "Good job! You've finally figured it out! I suppose now you're going to throw us all into Exillium?"

Councillor Emery nods. "Yes, we will."

Gisela looks way too pleased. I step forward. "If she's that happy about it, I wouldn't recommend putting her wherever Exillium is."

She smiles. "Ah! Look! It's the Hero of Olympus! How smart you are to figure it out!" Then she fake-frowns. "Oh. But a hero wouldn't fail to save his loved ones, would he?"

'What? How does she-?'

I stumble backwards. Her words are like poisoned daggers, launched at all of my weakest points. Then again, it's not like I don't tell this to myself every second of every day.

"Bianca Di Angelo. Zoe Nightshade. Lee Fletcher."

I bow my head towards the ground, trying to not let anyone see the tears.

"Castor. Charles Beckendorf. Michael Yew."

How does she know these names?"

"Silena Beauregard. Ethan Nakamura. Luke Castellan."

These hit me like a boulder, burying me. I cover my ears against the onslaught of blame. Stop, please stop.

"Bob. Damasen."

A cry escapes from my lips. My fault. I left them in Tartarus. I fall to my knees, my hands against my ears.

"Travis Stoll. Clarisse La Rue. Conner Stoll."

Stop. Stop. Stop.

"Katie Gardener. Thalia Grace. Calypso."

It's my fault. All of it is my fault.

"Dakota. Gwen. Michael Kahale."

With a jerk in my heart, I know who she is going to say next. Her voice is louder.

"Jason Grace! Piper McLean! Frank Zhang!"

I want to scream. But I can't. I'm too weak.

"Leo Valdez! Hazel Levesque!"