18: Brave New World

Chapter 18: Brave New World

A week later, He awoke on a bed with his arms strapped to the bed. He looked around and his eyes met the mother of evil.

"You are awake! Finally! I was starting to think I would really have to get rid of your body." Jughead looked up at his mother and furrowed his eyebrows in furry.

"You lied to my family that I'm dead!" He snapped as he struggled against the ropes on his arms and ankles. "You might've as well killed me. This is cruel and I never thought you would do this."

Gladys rolled her eyes." Stop being dramatic, Jughead. If you keep with that attitude, I might take you up on that offer." She snarled.

-xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Adjusting always had been hard for FP. Alice tried to offer her help, but FP didn't take it. Betty and Archie both could feel the tension in the house. They knew FP was just barely holding on, constantly working at any chance he had. He had been avoiding their mother. Alice kept worrying about his health. She knew that FP was having a hard time adjusting to the fact Jughead was never coming back.

"Betty, can you pass me the sugar?" She asked her daughter who sat across the kitchen table. Betty nods and hands her the sugar container. "Thank you, Honey!"

FP stirs the stick in his mug slowly. He didn't want to go to work today. The last thing he needed was to work right now. His eyes wandered over the chair Jug used to sit. He has to take a minute to close his eyes and then re-open them. "Fred is going to be here to pick the kids up for school?" He finds himself asking, still not looking at her.

Alice sighs." Yes. He'll be here in ten minutes. He had to... take care of things." She didn't say what he was exactly doing. Fred was getting checked for his gun shot. She didn't want to upset FP. "Kids?"

Archie and Betty glanced up from their plates." Yeah?"

"Make sure you bring snacks. I heard that Weatherbee is having an outside activity." Alice stated before she filled her mouth with food. Betty and Archie both nodded.

"Yes, Mom." They said in unison as they shot glances at one another. This was the first they've heard of the activity.

After the kids left, FP started getting ready for his grueling day at work. He kisses Alice goodbye before he shuts the door. He doesn't bother taking his motorcycle. Instead he hopped into his truck and turns on the ignition. It was twenty minutes later he pulled into Pop's parking lot. He tied his uniform around his back and fixed his work hat. The first part of his morning went okay.

That was until a certain blonde walked into the diner. FP's patience went from one to zero when he heard the doorbell ding. Of course, he rumbled as he wiped the counter with a dish rag. "Jones, I heard about your son. I'm sorry about your loss. Although he was quite a pain my ass." FP's jaw clenched dangerously at the guest.

"Penny, what do you want?" He offered through clenched teeth. This woman really boils his blood each time he sees her.

Penny smiles darkly with a glint of harshness. "Oh, FP, why do you always think I want something?" He narrowed his eyes. She sighs," Fine. I thought you would like know that your wife was spotted in Greendale."

He sets down the rag and raised his eyebrow." Gladys is nearby?" He questioned, trying to keep his furry out of his face. But Penny grins." You want her head don't you?"

"That's none of your business, Peabody!"

Penny crossed her arms over her chest," Don't shoot the messenger. I'm doing you a favor with no cost. Jones boy wasn't too bad. Gladys is messed up in that head." She leaned closer to him and whispered." Your son is alive." With that the snake charmer left, leaving FP stirring with emotions.

Penny's favors never came without a cost. She also was known for lying. There's no way his son is alive. He felt a pit in his stomach when he thought of his son. Penny's a snake charmer and always was out to get Jughead. Why should he trust anything she ever said?

He decided to call Keller and have him double check. As soon Tom got to the office his phone rang. Tom sighed at the caller ID.

"What is it, Jones?"

"Tom, Penny stopped by Pop's and she said that Jughead is still alive." Tom heard a pang of hope in the father's voice. His heart clenched painfully in his chest.