Chapter Twelve

(POV: Remus)

I sat with my princely brother in the middle of the darkness that was Thomas' mind. He didn't say much. Mainly just looked at his reflection in his own sword.

Usually, I'd make fun of him or call him shallow, but I could see the pain deeply set in his irises. He was conflicted, I knew it. That only meant Elden's plan was working like a charm.

Once Roman joins us and Janus corrupts Virgil, nothing will stop us from corrupting Logan and Patton too before ruling over Thomas.

Meanwhile, Elden continued to silently pace around. His patience was decreasing, I could tell. I knew he was waiting for Roman to give him an answer but, I didn't think one would come for a long time. He growled, looking at Roman and I with a deadly sting in his eye.

"Remus?" He croaked, making both my brother and I jump. "I'd like to speak with you. Alone!" Of course, I obeyed.

Immediately, I stood up and wandered away from Roman, just enough to where we could still see him.

"Something wrong, Ely?" I snarked, watching him cringe at the nickname.

"He's never going to accept our way! He's too attached to Thomas and the others. I think we need to push him a bit harder!"

"W-What do you suggest?" I asked nervously. Without a word, his hands started to glow and form a mist that began to surround me. I recognized this. He was giving me some of his magic. And with his magic, I could manipulate Roman even more.

"I'm trusting you to come up with some sort of lie to get him on our side immediately. Do this simple task and I'll see to it that you are rewarded handsomely. If not..." he paused to chuckle, "I have other ways to make sure you obey my commands."

I glupped, getting a sinking feeling in my gut. My hands slowly started to shake as I just hid them away behind me.

"I understand, Elden, sir," I said.

With that, he disappeared back towards our base. Once he was out of sight, I took a minute to breathe.

I rubbed my forehead and shut my eyes. I had to finish this. I opened my eyes and marched over to Roman.

Roman was tapping his fingers together and looking around nervously. His sword was now resting beside him in its sheath.

He had yet to see me, giving me a small window of time to think of a lie to tell him.

I wasn't as good as Janus in the lying department, but I have a few tricks up my slimy sleeves. A thought crossed my mind, followed by a devilish grin. So I stomped over to him, catching his attention at long last.

"Everything okay?" He asked tentatively.

"Oh, yeah! Totally, especially now that he's gone!" I laughed.

The confusion was clear in my brother's eyes. This seemed crazy. Crazy enough to work.

"Listen, Roman. I know where Virgil is and how to get him back, but I can't do it alone. I'm too weak. But, you and I together? We could rid Thomas of Elden once and for all!"

"Y-You mean?"

I nodded excitedly, "Let's fuse!"

"F-Fuse?! Remus are you nuts!"

"I think you know the answer to that question," I countered. "Come on, Ro! You know we...Romulus could beat Elden! And think about it, if we do, Thomas will be saved, Virgil will be free and you can go back home and live your happily ever after."

Elden's magic swirled deep in Roman's eyes. He was giving in to my suggestion. Maybe his magic was stronger than I thought.

Roman took my hand, allowing me to pull him to his feet. I could tell he was still apprehensive, but he didn't have the might to defy me now.

A red and green mist began to swirl around us. My brother seemed confused at first, but I gripped his hand tighter, ensuring that he couldn't leave.

Roman winced and clenched his eyes shut. He was never able to handle fusing well. I always managed to get through it without any negative side effects like my brother.

Suddenly, there was a searing pain in the back of my skull, making me lurch forward from the shock.

The mist grew into a swarm of red and green clouds, swirling around us faster and faster. The ground seemed to be rumbling underneath us.

It became almost impossible to see, as my head roared and my vision became blurry. I could still make out Roman who was clutching his head with his free hand and screaming. I smiled weakly as everything went dark.

***

(3rd Person POV)

Romulus opened their eyes and blinked away the red and green spots that appeared. They stood up shakily and grabbed the sword by their feet. It had a red and green blade, lined with fire and a handle made of black metal.

The fusion grasped their head and the sword fell to the ground. They began yelling at themselves in two voices.

"Remus, we have to stop this!" One cried out. "This is going to get out of hand like it always does!"

"Roman, don't you see that this is the only way to stop Elden? Thomas needs our help. He needs your help," said the other.

"Surely this will not help Thomas! All Romulus ever does it hurt him! We need to break the connection!"

"No!" The other cried out again. The fusion's red and green eyes grew wide before there was a massive scream of shock and terror. It hurt, it hurt a lot. But they pulled through.

Soon, they shot back up, revealing both eyes to be a bright green hue. A smile spread across their face as they reached up with both hands to graze their skin.

"Are you there, Roman?" They called out. When there was no response or struggle from the fusion, they smiled wider.

Out from the darkness came the pounding boots that always echoed in the twin's head. Elden appeared again, joyously snarling when he saw the fusion.

"At long last. The pleasure is mine, Romulus," Elden bowed while the fusion cackled. "I assume that's you in there, Remus."

"It is. But we must continue with the plan quickly before Roman grows stronger and becomes able to gain control of this form again."

"Well then, let's continue," Elden grinned. With the fusion at his feet, they walked into the darkness towards the Dark Side's base.