Chapter 4

Year 5
(From book 3-Prisoner of Azkaban)

We arrived past the gate, chittering excitedly until we saw Dementors at the front of the gates. The impending doom and freezing sensation washed over me again for the second time today. We walked towards the great hall and sat down. Ron walked in and sat next to me as the Sorting was starting.

"Where's Harry and Hermione?" I asked him.

"I don't know," he said as the hat shouted 'Ravenclaw!', "Mcgonagall took them both, she had to talk to them."

"Did it have anything to do with the dementors on the train?" I ask, as I applauded for a new Gryffindor .

"How is everyone finding out Harry passed out?" He urged.

"He passed out?!" I gasped, "Is he alright?"

"Yeah he's fine," he reassured sheepishly, then nodding towards the Great Hall doors, "look."

And sure enough I could see Harry and Hermione walking into the Great Hall and walking towards Gryffindor table.

"What was all that about?" Ron asked, but as Harry was about to explain, Dumbledore stood up to speak.

He had such an energy that I had to smile. He had several feet of gray silvery hair, half moon spectacles, a crooked nose, and bright blue eyes. Dumbledore smiled fondly at the students, and had the Great Hall instantly calm down.

"Welcome!" Said Dumbledore. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very Sirius, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast..."

Dumbledore cleared his throat and continued, "As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business." He paused, letting it sink in, "They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds," Dumbledore continued, "and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises- or even invisibility cloaks." He added blandly. "It is not in the nature of a dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and everyone of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the perfects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure no student runs afoul of the dementors," he said.

Percy, who was sitting quite a few seats down, puffed out his chest and looked around impressively, caused me to give a very ungirly snort.

"On a happier note," Dumbledore continued, "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our rank this year.

"First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

There weren't many people clapping, but Harry, Hermione, and Ron clapped hard. Professor Lupin looked rather shabby next to all the other teachers. Shape on the other hand looked at the new professor with hate and loathing that he often gave the twins.

"As to our second new appointment," Dumbledore continued as the faint applause died away. "Well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his time with his remaining limbs."