[twenty-one]

jaehyung sat on the edge of the roof, seeing every inch of the small town. clinging to the small handle that eld him up to the top of the house, he took a bottle of beer, filled to only three fourths of the entire container. it's not the first time that he had drank his mother's daily dose; it's probably more than a lot. he wasn't used to it at first, but as time goes he became addicted to it. it helps him get through a lot.

what a sight to see.

he eyes are focused on the stars that fly in the night sky, knowing that he has work to do but he guesses that it'll be done later. an airplane flew by, but now he saw it going down to the airport. it's very far away but it's still clearly seen.

the boy's restless body soon turned back to the small door that led him to the roof, but refused to go in. after looking at his mother getting drunk, he remembered that he had a sheet to fill in. when he returns it fully answered, he'll have his mom away from home. after all, jaehyung needed to study. he has to work in order to fulfill his own needs and maybe one day live in a new home. but that's still so far away as he still has a few more years of college.

staring at the blank sky for another hour, he saw a shooting star flying from the west. and of course, his young life started appearing in his eyes.

it wasn't pleasant as he got to see several things that weren't really something a young kid has to see and even worse remember. every single bad memory never leaves, and so does the memory of his dead sister and father.

when he was five years old, his sister gave him a tiny mint lollipop and opened the wrapping paper, giving him a smile that he never get to see again.

when he was seven, his mom brought him to a small supermarket. that's when he got to see the mint lollipop again. when he asked for his mother to buy it, she shook her head. "you're teeth would fall out."

and around five years later he could hear sounds of pain coming from his mother. he cried too hard that even his sister noticed. "don't cry. eat this and brush your teeth afterwards, alright. it's okay."

...

"what's this?"
"oh. it's just a box of mint lollipop. don't take it."
"it's empty though."

jaehyung sat next to him by the bed, "I'll just keep it. I was planning on finding that flavour." the other boy "ohh"ed as he put the box back.
...

"what a life." he laughed as he put the bottle of beer next to him, silence circling around him as the town quiets down. the only lights that were lit is the houses next to him and some others that stretch as long as 200 meters.

opening the door to the attic, he took one last look at the small but peaceful town and went in.

the clock showed one in the morning, and he was looking for something in his dresser. "oh." he took a deep breath and let it out, then yawned. the tiny box that used to have at least ten pieces of lollipop is not empty. "what the- what?"

the dresser that he have not opened in years, had hundreds of the same mint flavoured lollipop, and every one of them had a small sheet of paper attached to it.
...