Part Seventeen - Rewind

The precinct

The precinct.

A place that had become a second home to her. In many cases, even more comforting than home. A safe place that wasn't really safe at all. Bullets had grazed the filing cabinets and blood had spilled on the floor, yet the walls still had the same embrace as a warm hug.

She never thought she'd miss the smell of burnt coffee and typewriter ink.

Heads turned as she slowly made her way into the bullpen. Each step was delicate, guarded hopes that she could slip in unnoticed. She didn't want the attention that was so recklessly coming her way.

She was grateful to have finally rid herself of the sling, leaving her to cover up any remaining trace of her wounds with a turtleneck sweater. The seams of the bandages still protruded past the fabric of the shirt, but at least it wasn't painfully obvious.

She was home.

The 1-6 had always felt like an old friend. An old friend who had seen her in so many phases of life. This place had seen her grow.

"Hi, I'm looking for Detective Stabler?" she asked, coming to the first desk nearest to the door. The station house was similar to her last; the same tall ceilings and beige walls. The same day-to-day business of uniformed officers standing around and witnesses waiting to be interviewed.

"You got me, how can I help you?" he finally responded, looking up from the pile of paperwork he had been buried in. A slightly open-mouth smile drew across his lips as his eyes fell upon hers for the very first time. He was paused, completely immersed in the second that felt like an eternity. The brunette hair that fell to her shoulders and the long, dark eyelashes that almost touched her cheeks when she blinked.

"I'm Detective Olivia Benson. I'm your new partner." she stuck her hand out to shake his, her own grin breaking through the subtlety she was hoping for.

As if his brain had short-circuited, it took a moment for him to register that she was trying to shake his hand. He forced himself back to reality, his calloused palms meeting the softness of her skin. "N-new partner?" he sputtered, never quite losing the smile. "What happened to Jo?"

"I uh, I don't know any Jo. I just transferred here from the 5-5." she vaguely motioned at the door, her eyes refusing to leave his. "My old sarge recommended me for the spot."

"Well then, welcome aboard, Olivia Benson."

"Liv?" a familiar voice pulled her out of her reverie. "You okay? You've been staring off into space for a moment." Cragen said, walking up towards her.

She turned to face him, still drowning in the nostalgia that had run through her. From the small twinge in her cheeks, she could tell that she was wearing the same grin now as she had from the first day she had joined the squad. "I'm fine, Captain."

"Good," he smiled. "I'm glad to have you back." he patted her back, leaving her to get comfortable at her desk.

The damn thing had turned into a shrine. Nothing changing since the last time she had seen it. Even the little pink appointment reminder slip she had left on the surface was still there. Over an entire month since she had stepped foot back into the very room that she had almost every day for ten years in. Dust had gathered on the keyboard and monitor of her computer, along with any remnants of paperwork that she hadn't finished.