c h a p t e r 13- one cramped locker and a whole lot of tension

Arriving at school the next day was, as I predicated, absolutely shit. The moment I entered with my brothers, all chatter stopped, leaving only whispers and fearful looks our way- I assumed the fearful looks were directed at my brothers but, seriously, people were parting like they were the red sea and we were Moses.

'Why do they look like they're all pissing themselves?' I murmured to Jared.

'First of all, no swearing,' he said, sending me a disapproving look, 'secondly, let's just say that Beatrice bitch won't ever be bothering you again.' I frowned. What did that mean? Had they threatened her or something?

Pushing those thoughts back for later, I finally spotted Xavier's head in the crowd, meaning Lyra and Willow would be there too. Pecking Jordan on the cheek- what do you know I'm feeling affectionate this morning- and hugging Jared and Dylan, I rushed towards them.

'Hey guys,' I said, a little cautiously. As soon as Lyra saw me, she ran, wrapping her scrawny legs around my face while simultaneously grabbing my face as she checked it for injuries.

'Bitch! Don't scare us like that again- I almost lost my shit when I saw you on the floor!' Hugging her back, I laughed, 'Sorry,'

Switching Lyra onto my back so she didn't damage my ribs too much, I headed over to where Willow and Xavier were watching in amusement. Dropping Lyra on her butt, I reached to hug Willow.

'I'm glad you're okay,' she said, speaking into my ear. I smiled at her reassuringly and glanced back at Xavier who was helping up a disgruntled Lyra.

He grinned at me, 'Don't do that again, Martínez. Not only did you pass out but you nearly gave your brother a heart attack when he saw you lying on the floor. The looks he was giving out could've killed someone,' I smiled slightly- it was nice knowing my brothers cared.

'Hmm yeah, there's been lots of talk today though. About Beatrice you know. Cus she hasn't been in and people thought they saw moving trucks outside her trucks so now they're saying that your brothers threatened her so much, she moved countries.'

I blinked in shock, the others looking equally as surprised as Lyra leaned casually against her locker, chewing on some strawberry laces.

'You really think my brothers would be capable of something like that?'

They pondered that thought for maybe, two seconds, before replying with a resounding, 'Yup.'

I gave them a look and they just shrugged. Jesus, they were actually serious. The bell rung, leaving me to ponder my thoughts as I walked to my next class, Science. If I was gonna be really honest with myself, my brothers did make quite innominate comments at times- the hospital being one example and Jared's comment this morning about Beatrice another. Deep down, I had a nagging feeling that, for once, the gossip this morning actually had some truth to it.

In a daze, I realised I had arrived at science already. I hadn't been in this class yet so I didn't have a seat; I picked the less embarrassing option of just sitting down somewhere instead of hanging about at the front of the classroom waiting for everyone else.

I rested my head on my arms, planning to take a quick power nap before class started- I would need it especially if we were going to be doing chemistry or some shit like that. Just as I got comfortable, a deep voice interrupted my peace.

'You're sitting in my place,'

Raising my head, I saw it was Cole. Of course.

Rolling my eyes, I put my head back down onto my head, 'Go away, paint boy, I'm sure you can find another seat,' Wait- did I just call him that? Peeking from underneath my arm, I see that, yes, I did because he now had a massive smirk on his face. Ugh.