Chapter Six: Burnt Sugar

The sickening scent of burnt sugar ran wildly through the fields under the night sky. You no longer had to worry about the darkness surrounding the area, it was illuminated by the unhinged fire. The flames were licking the kingdom walls overhead. You could almost feel the heat trying to hug you. Yellow golden flames cast the same glow on everything in sight. The air was filled with particles of different candy.

Marshall tightened his grip on your hand as you both ran to the entrance that looked safe enough to enter. Dozens of candy citizens stood around, parents, children, elderly and mysterious figures stood back in awe of the burning building. It was the hotel you were staying at. Melted parts of the building dripped down it slowly like wax on a candle. Hardened bits of candle fell in different areas on the ground.

The fire spread out in height but not in width, like some strange magic prevented it to grow as desperately as it wanted to. "Is there anyone in there?!" You cried out to the crowd, they began to murmur among each other without giving any real answers. Marshall let go of your hand, he was about to storm in there himself to save anyone else who was trapped inside. "Don't!" You tried to grab onto his shoulder to stop him, he flew away faster before you could get a solid grip.

You jumped on his back with your legs wrapped tightly around his waist. He didn't seem to mind. Marshall tried to dart inside the building but he was blocked by the sudden appearance of Prince Gumball on a horse that neighed loudly in fear as it stood on its back legs. He blocked your path to the entrance, a small army of six banana guards trailed behind him on their own horses.

"Stand back!" Gumball shouted as he waved his arms away from you. "The guards will make their entrance to rescue the guests inside!" Marshall landed on the ground, he took a step back with you still draped around his waist. Gumball moved out of the way to let the guards enter the building. The watching crowds mingling emotions drowned each other out into incomprehensible noise.

The three of you watched a little too close at the first banana guard entering the building. They went in a single file line for safety. "Glob be praised!" The first guard shouted out, it caused the crowd to gasp. Gumball ran towards the entrance to see what was happening. "Mercy..." Gumball whispered under his breath. You set your feet to the ground and ran over to them, they were standing in a small circle. You saw it.

The inside of the building was pristine. Not one flame or ember dared to touch an inch of the interior within. The guests were huddled in the corner of the room with fear plastered across their sweet faces. "Is it safe to come out?" An elderly resident asked. The sweat beading off his forehead from the heat of the fire fogged up his wire framed glasses. Gumball leaned towards the banana guard's ear. "Escort them out, all of them. I'm going to go upstairs."

The guards nodded without any word of agreement. Residents' faces of fear turned to relief as the guards told them it was safe to leave and they would lead the way out of the building with helpful hands. You watched the guards offer their arms to different candy people but Gumball wasn't sticking around to watch. He was trotting up the stairs of the hotel that was still in flames, on the outside at least. You followed behind him closely, calling out his name.

Gumball barely looked over his shoulder while he walked up each step. "What's going on?" You asked him, trying to keep up with his fast pace movements. Gumball shook his head in an unusual manner. You couldn't see his expression but his voice sounded defeated. "I don't know. We don't have arsonists." The hallway of doors to different rooms was untouched. Except one. Yours.

The fires engulfed the door in twisted green flames. It smelled like burnt cookies fresh out of the oven. "Glob!" Gumball ran towards it as did you right behind him. "Should we get the guards??" You looked down the hallway hoping they heard and were on their way up to you. "There's no time, Y/N, please stand back." You tried to talk Gumball out of what he was about to do but he asked you again to step away from the door.