the dumber one

"Another onigiri?" Atsumu asks, peeking at his brother's orange lunch box, "She's been giving you onigiri since last week."

"Yeah, jealous?" Osamu asks in return, munching on the rice ball, "Oh, chicken today," he mumbles.

"That's weird, something doesn't add up," Atsumu speculates, narrowing his eyes as he stares.

"What doesn't? The fact I have a girlfriend and you don't?" Osamu mocks before taking another bite.

"The only time you ever meet is when she gives you onigiri. That's literally the only time," Atsumu says. He raises a brow, thinking of other things that "doesn't add up."

"So you're the dating expert now? Who's single again?" Osamu asks, faking his calm composure while on the verge of getting caught.

"You don't even go to our practice and my fans do that for me," Atsumu flaunts.

"She's a runner. She's training too, dumbass," he groans.

"We go home the same time as track and field but you don't ever meet!" he exclaims, "I've connected the dots!"

"You didn't do shit," Osamu clicks his tongue.

"You're mad at her! You're playing hard to get!" Atsumu raises his voice, smiling like a child.

"You didn't connect shit," he repeats but a little glad his brother hasn't fully figured it out.

"Wow, lame move! Playing hard to get for like a week," Atsumu bursts out laughing, placing his hands on his tummy in the process.

"Shut up."

"So? So? What did yer fight about? Jealousy? Time? Come on, spill!"

"Nothing! We didn't fight!" Osamu insists, tired of his brother's rowdiness.

"Not falling for your lies, 'Samu," he scoffs, beaming with confidence, "Then how come you two never hang out?"

"Oh for fucks sake," Osamu sighs, now thinking of a way to make his brother shut up. "I never thought I needed to inform you that we have a date tomorrow. I didn't think you're mom," he says.

"A date? Really?" Atsumu's still doubtful, but mostly just to annoy Osamu.

"Yeah, and your single ass can't relate to that," he flexes, a smirk stretching out his cheek.

Osamu shortly begins to regret the lie, especially because he knows Atsumu will find out if he doesn't make it happen. And the thing is, he has no idea what her Line was, meaning, there isn't a way for him to chat.

Loathing himself for the lie, right after his classes, just before he goes to his practice, Osamu heads to the third floor in search of her. "Class 7, Class 7," he mumbles, searching for her room.

Much to his relief, it doesn't take long for him to spot her. She's just outside the classroom, having a chitchat with Kita. Wait, Kita? Kita Shinsuke? Osamu's a little surprised to see her and Kita, not that he mind. Or so he thought.

"Kita-san, I'll send you my work through your email, is that okay?" He overhears their conversation as he approaches.

"Sure, tell me if you have trouble with your part," Kita offers.

"Oh?" Kita mouths, noticing Osamu nearby.

"Oh! Osamu-san, hello," she greets with a bow.

"I'll go now, we have volleyball practice. We," Kita emphasizes.

"Yes, yes, I won't be late," Osamu promises before the older leaves.

"Can I help you with something, Osamu-san?" she asks him, visibly in a better mood than usual.

"We kinda have a problem, Chuunchun," Osamu says, trying to make it sound a bit less serious than it is.

"What is it?" she asks, tilting her head.

Osamu glances sideways, looking at the number of people staring. "Oh, would you like to talk about it somewhere in private?" she asks, reading the situation he's in.

He quickly nods in approval, glad she immediately understood. "Is the field okay with you? There aren't a lot of people on the other side."

"Ah, of course, her favorite spot," he tells himself as he responds with a silent nod.

While Suiren takes the lead, Osamu follows behind her, thinking of ways to phrase the problem.

"Well?" she says, gazing at him, awaiting an answer.

"You see, 'Tsumu pissed me off by saying we didn't act like a real couple," he says, already pointing the blame at his suspecting twin.

"Oh," she mutters. Her signature poker face always makes it hard for her friends and family to read her, let alone for her fake boyfriend.

"I lied and said we have a date tomorrow, but at least he just thinks we had a fight," he explains. He momentarily presses his lips together, still trying to understand her reaction.

"Miko-san said the same thing to me a few days ago. She said that you never made an effort to spend time with me," she reveals in a deadpan tone.

"Ah. That's pretty bad."

"I'm sorry for the mean comment she made." Suiren slightly panics and she lowers her head to apologize.

"No, no, I meant, we're getting busted. And I always say that 'Tsumu's the dumber one," he chuckles. She pauses for a second, just absent-mindedly admiring the beauty of his smile, along with the sweet sound of his laughter.

"I've always known Miko's the smarter one," she remarks. A soft smile forms on her lips, getting carried away with how carefree he is.

"So we are getting busted. Busted already?" he sighs, shaking his head.

"Oh, but, based on what you said, we'll go out on a date tomorrow?" she asks, her face hinting confusion.

"So you're agreeing to it?" He doubts she would.

"Yes. Would you rather not go?" she asks, also doubting he would.

"I'd rather go," he answers, bringing another smile on her face.

"Then, see you tomorrow, Osamu-san."