shenanigans

"A, A kiss?" Suiren gasps, impulsively covering her mouth to hide her surprise and nervousness.

"Suiren, I'm back. Sorry, he-" Kanai, her classmate assigned for cleaning duties, comes back from the hallway and interrupts their awkward yet sweet moment. "Oh, sorry."

Osamu quickly turns around at the disturbance and he sighs at their ruined time. "Well, I'll see you later, Chuunchun," he tells her.

"Later? What do you mean?" Suiren asks but he already walks out of the room. "Tomorrow, see ya."

"Was that a bad time?" Kanai mumbles, weirded out.

"No, not at all," Suiren reassures, shaking her head.

"Well, I'll clean the blackboard erasers. Can you rearrange the chairs? It's pretty messy. Is that okay?" Kanai asks but she already has her hands on the erasers.

"Okay."

The rest of the afternoon and evening is spent on reminiscing what just happened and his words, "Go out with me" replays on her head endlessly.

As for Osamu, he's still in disbelief with how straight-forward he just was, considering how reserved and quiet he usually is. Confessing in a spur of the moment, asking her out directly, no beating around the bush-- he didn't strike her to be the very expressive type. Suiren guesses that he just didn't want to let the chance to confess to go to waste.

"Good night, Nee-san," Suiren's train of thoughts is disrupted by her younger sister's voice. They shared rooms but had separate beds.

"Good night," she says, though she still has her phone in her hand as she lie in bed.

"My teacher says you'll ruin your eyes if you keep doing that," the younger warns before letting out a loud yawn.

"That's quite ironic for you to say, isn't it?" Suiren says then glances at the pair of glasses resting on the bedside table.

Suiren resumes scrolling through her social media account, paying attention only to sports-related posts. And suddenly, a notification pops up on top of her screen, grabbing her interest away from the posts.

ChiasaMai sent you a message!

"Club president?" she mumbles. She taps on the bubble to view the message and she sees long rows of text.

hi tsutsui! this is my daily reminder

that the qualifiers for the nationals
is fast approaching!! i mean, wow,
its next week already. so i really
hope you're taking of urself well.

coach and the managers promised

to treat us to yakitori tomorrow so
I also hope u come! u never join us
so why not try this time~ plus its a
friday tomorrow so ^^

However, before Suiren gets the chance to type a reply, a rejection for the invite, rather, another message notification distracts her. She has never tapped on anything this fast.

miyaosamu sent you a message!

miyaosamu: Are you home yet? You didn't message me.

miyaosamu: Good night, Chuunchun.

"Am I supposed to send a message?" she mumbles, confused and curious. Osamu is yet to notice how clueless she really is when it comes to relationships.

tsutsuisui: I got home 2 hours ago. No club today. I didn't know I needed to tell you, I'm sorry.

tsutsuisui: I'll tell you next time, Osamu-san.

"She still talks so formally," Osamu groans, shaking his head, "She's like a robot."

tsutsuisui: If I'm missing or forgetting something, tell me too please ^^

"A damn cute robot," he adds, smiling at her messages.

miyaosamu: have you eaten yet?

"Was I suppose to tell him that too?" she wonders.

tsutsuisui: Yes, we always have dinner by 7:30. My mother hates delays for everything.

tsutsuisui: And you? I hope you've eaten. It's already past 9PM, Osamu-san.

miyaosamu: yeah, no way I can last without dinner

tsutsuisui: Same here ^^ I never skip meals because they're part of my daily routine. It feels wrong not to follow routines.

miyaosamu: I don't skip meals because i like food, thats it

tsutsuisui: Can I ask you something?

miyaosamu: yeah?

tsutsuisui: Why is it me?

miyaosamu: huh

miyaosamu: why what

tsutsuisui: It feels embarrassing to make the question specific ^^"

tsutsuisui: Why do you like me?

Unlike earlier, Osamu couldn't bring himself to be so direct and expressive anymore. He simply stares at the screen, deliberating on how he's supposed to answer.

tsutsuisui: Have you fallen asleep, Osamu-san?

tsutsuisui: Sleep tight ^^

miyaosamu: no no

tsutsuisui: If you're sleepy, it's okay. We can continue talking tomorrow.

miyaosamu: well, I wanna ask you the same thing

tsutsuisui: That's unfair, Osamu-san. I asked first. Should I pull the "Respect your seniors" card? ^^

It's Suiren's best attempt for a joke. She just hoped he understood.

miyaosamu: oh no, not that seniority thing

tsutsuisui: I'm kidding ^^" I often forget you're younger

miyaosamu: oh?

tsutsuisui: Yes ^^

tsutsuisui: Also, I don't know why I like you. I think I just do.

A soft chuckle escapes his lips and he's visibly giddy and elated. A little concerned with Atsumu's shenanigans and teases, he immediately looks left and right to see if he saw him. Much to his relief, he's still all alone in the living room. For now.

"For someone so shy a while ago, she's so blunt," he comments as his fingers tap his screen.

miyaosamu: really?

tsutsuisui: Yes, really, which is why I'm very glad to hear you feel the same way ^^

tsutsuisui: Anyway, I'll sleep now, Osamu-san

miyaosamu: already?

tsutsuisui: Yes, I'm too lazy to study now.

miyaosamu: for real?

tsutsuisui: Yes...

tsutsuisui: Is that weird?

Suiren never cared about what people thought of her to be, which explains why she never bothered correcting rumors. But now, with Osamu, it's different.

tsutsuisui: Is it?

miyaosamu: no no, its not that

miyaosamu: sorry late reply, tsumu pissed me off again

tsutsuisui: oh ^^

tsutsuisui: I thought you thought of it as weird ^^"

miyaosamu: no, no, you're perfect the way you are baby <333

miyaosamu: I love you muaaaa <3433

miyaosamu: ur my world, marry meeee

tsutsuisui: osamu-san?

tsutsuisui: ???