Chapter 40

The day had gone by in a somewhat blur, some of it spent with Juuzou, some of it spent celebrating, and some of it spent helping the investigators who had been fighting with their injuries. Hanbee and Keijin had made an appearance and chatted with Juuzou and I for a bit, asking how my wounds were and making remarks about our relationship. After a bit of time, however, it was decided that everyone in the house should be moved to their squad houses as fast as possible so that life could go back to normal, which ended our banter.

Cars and trucks came to pick small amounts of investigators up at a time, usually in squads. As each room slowly emptied, I began vacuuming and clearing out the cots from them. It felt a bit nostalgic to be cleaning all of the rooms in the house, and for some reason I almost felt guilty for not wanting to live there anymore. It wasn't my fault that my squad members died, it was that chief's fault.

Kichimura Washuu. If you weren't already dead I'd torture you till you were screaming apologies to those you killed.

Juuzou bid me farewell, leaving with Hanbee and Keijin to visit the rest of his team. It was a bit sad to see him go, I mean, we hadn't really been apart since we got together. I bit my tongue though, not wanting to seem clingy or selfish.

After Juuzou left I felt extraordinarily lonely. I had the company of my medics, but they were going to go home once everything was clean, meaning I would be all alone in the house that was once so full of love and life.

~Time skip brought to you by the emo music you probably listen to~

For once, I felt very grateful to have a pile of paperwork to do. I could sleep anytime now, I mean, it was probably past midnight by then. But for some reason not sleeping beside Juuzou made an empty feeling grow in my stomach, and to be honest I just didn't feel very tired. Instead I tore through my work paper by paper, and by the end of the night most of my work had finally been completed. I took a fast and rather uncomfortable cold shower, and after checking the time and realizing it was six in the morning, I decided to "take a nap".

What I mean by "take a nap" is when I realized I no longer needed to be stressed about anything I crashed and slept for ten hours. I would make an excuse, but honesty I just think I was compensating for all of those sleepless nights. I awoke around 4:00 p.m. to the sound of knocking on my door. After quickly fixing my appearance and running down the stairs, I opened the door to see Akira wearing her stone cold face and holding a box. "Investigator (l/n), it's good to see you looking healthy and well rested. This is your new fighting uniform. It's a bit different of a format that it used to be because we are trying to erase the footprint that Kichimura Washuu left. I'm sorry about your team, by the way."

I nodded and took the box, smiling at her. "Thank you. I suppose this means I'm heading back to work soon?"

"Yes, there's a meeting next week for our first new assignment. We will need you in top shape. Also, I think that having you and Investigator Suzuya be partners could be very promising, so I've gone ahead and requested a house be reserved for you."

"O-Oh! That will do very nicely, thank you! I'll see you next week, Mado, please take care."

Akira smiled at me and nodded before turning away and returning to her car.

. . .

I set the box on my bed, carefully opening it with a knife and taking the contents out.

Wow. It's a bit much, isn't it?

Unlike the other uniform, this one was all black and looked to be made of a more elastic material. It seemed like it would be more form fitting too, which I had nothing against, but wondered if it would be restricting during battle.

(I'm thinkin it looks like this, but y'all can imagine anything you want tehe)

I hung it in my closet and admired it for a few more moments before going about my business again. Juuzou planned on staying with his team for around a week, which was the perfect amount of time for a partner house to be prepped for living, not to mention it gave me time to pack all of my belongings. We would move in probably one or two days before the CCG meeting, and then we could go about our business as partners. I had a feeling we were going to work very well together.

Authors note: I know I know it's yet another short chapter, but but it's only because I want the new house and mission to have its own chapter sooo