𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐄 III

𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 III 𝐎𝐅 III
-

"millie?" finn said quietly as turned on his side, shifting to look at her.

"yeah?" she did the same, and they were laying face to face.

"what do you want to do after high school?" he asked. the girl rolled her eyes, obviously not wanting to talk about it.

"dude, we're sophomores! there's no reason to be thinking about that," she sat up, annoyed.

"well," he propped himself up on his shoulder, "what do you think you might want to do?"

she sighed,

"honestly? i want to be anywhere else but in this town."

millie turned on her back again, staring up at the night sky.

"really? i mean i get it, everyone here kinda knows your business," he trailed off, he wanted her to stay not go, "anyways, think of all the stuff we can't do." he shifted to face the sky again.

she hummed, inviting him to continue.

"like, okay we can't skateboard around the empty parking lots. cities don't have empty parking lots."

"finn, you skateboard in empty parking lots, i'm just there because we're friends."

"oh, yes you're right there but," he bit his lip thinking of reasons why he loved the small town. he ran through his memories, knowing there was a pro to the town in there. the longer he thought, the more he realized he only loved this town because it had her in it.

"oh! yes, okay we can't do this." he gestured up at the sky, waving his hands around.

she snorted, "do what exactly?"

finn blushed, glad they were both looking up. "this. you, me, looking up at the stars. there's all that pollution in the city and you can't even see the stars. besides, you think new york or chicago has train yards we can sneak around in?"

millie got quiet, she moved her hand from her stomach, reaching down to grab his. she squeezed their hands together, comforting him. and maybe herself.

"oh finnie," she got quiet, "we don't need stars or train tracks, we'll be together. besides, we can look at the city lights, i heard they're even prettier."

'not prettier than you.' finn thought, not daring to say the words out loud.

"millie and finnie, taking on the big city." the girl whispered, thinking he couldn't hear her.

finn laughed, "that's so cheesy."

and millie knew it was, she knew they weren't living some coming of age movie but it was nice to fantasize about their big escape, away from this small town.

-

and here they were. together in the same city, but father apart then either wished they'd ever be.

finn sat at the diner table, processing what happened. everything she had said was true.

"god fucking damnit!" he said, louder than intended as he grabbed his jacket, running for the doors.

two minutes.

that's how long it took him to get out of that fucking booth and go after her.

two minutes,

that's how much earlier he needed to leave if he wanted a chance in hell at finding her.

the rain was coming down. harder than before. by the time he found a bus stop that would take him back to his hotel, he was soaked through. he pulled the hood up on his sweatshirt, failing to shield himself from the rain.