𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐄 II

"finn."
-

"mills." finn said with a warm smile, actually thrilled to see her.

"millie." she corrected automatically. he had to admit, it stung but he understood. he had lost his nickname privileges years ago.

"millie, right. hi, i uh," he scratched the back of his neck, feeling like nothing he said would be right. "hello, gah, sorry this is awkward i-"

"yeah," she interrupted his painful ramble, "i never thought i would see you again."

no sign of excitement or disappointment was held with her words, she was just simply shocked.

"yep." he pursed his chapped lips together, letting them go to pop the 'p'.

they sat in silence, both of their minds racing, finns for questions, millies for answers.

"can- can we start over?" finn began, "like here, hi, my name is finn, i think we went to highschool together. millie right?" he spoke quick, his mind working overtime, struggling to comprehend the situation.

she blinked, her brown eyes bubbled with pain and confusion. there was something else in her eyes he couldn't place. impatience? anger?

her eyes darted around the coffee shop and she picked at her nails, mind scanning for an answer.

finally, she spoke.

"uh yeah, i think we have mutual friends? caleb and sadie?" finn sighed a breath of relief before chuckling softly.

"i heard they were getting back together soon. good for them."

"good for them." she echoed, still feeling uncomfortable with seeing finn and him acting so, normal.

"you remember gaten?" he suggested, hoping to break the long frozen over ice.

a smile crept onto her face, "gaten, yeah wow. it feels like a whole different lifetime ago..." she trailed off, losing her thought for a second, "does he still have that weird obsession with pudding?"

finn laughed, bringing up a memory he had of his old friends, sitting in a basement getting high while gaten went over the qualities of chocolate pudding.

"oh my god yes! it's gotten even worse now," finn sat down in the chair across from millie, "he does this thing, where he'll go to costco once a month and buy one or two big packs of pudding, it's honestly terrifying."

millie laughed loudly, covering her mouth and finn was reminded why he was so desperately in love.

"sounds like dustin." she kept her eyes focused on her fingers, laced tightly around her coffee cup.

"hey, do you want to get lunch today? you know, as old pals?" finn blushed violently, thankful that his long hair hid it.

"no." she said bluntly.

"oh, that's okay i gu-" he quickly replied.

"oh, sorry, i mean not right now, i'm busy. i have a meeting." she ripped a piece of paper from her notebook, scribbling down an address. "meet me at this street corner at 6:45 and we can get dinner?" she handed him the paper, her handwriting just as blocky as when they were kids.

finn smiled brightly, "it's a date. a friend date? agk, i'll be there."

millie smiled at him like he was some stray animal you couldn't help but pity. with a curt nod and goodbye, she left, leaving finn alone with a smile as wide as the sun on his face.

-

he ran the paper inbetween his hands, smoothing out any wrinkles. he would say it was to make sure he got the address right when in reality he was scared shitless.