Chapter 11

They called me weak like I'm not just somebody's daughter

"So, Y/n how's that boy you've been hanging out with?"

"Tom? He's good."

"He seems like a good guy." He said taking a bite of his rice form the Chinese food Mom had brought home for dinner. "Is he?"

"Yeah, I'd say he is." Looking up from my barley touched plate.

"You should bring him around more."

"He's around all the time, Dad. Why are you asking so many questions about Tom?"

"He just seems like the type of person you shouldn't push away."

"I'm not pushing him away, Dad. Why would I do something like that?"

"Listen sweetheart, I'm just saying," he paused. "Don't let him slip away."

"Why." I said leaning back in my chair and folding my arms.

"Because he makes you happy." He said.

My expression dropped and my eyes over to my mother. She gave me a small smile before I turned back to my dad.

"I see it. I see it in your eyes. Everytime after he leaves this house there's this- this glow in your eyes. I don't know what it is but I can tell it's a good thing."

I didn't know to react to what he was saying. And now that someone is saying it to my face I realize it's true.

Recently there's been something about Tom that just makes me feel warm inside. Whenever he takes my hand when I'm crying, whenever he tells me encouraging words. It makes me feel happy and safe.

"Y/n, I saw you both on the couch. He was telling you how much he cared about you, how you have to be knocked down to stand back up taller. Y/n he makes you smile. And you wanna know what that does to me." I kept my eyes on his pleading ones. "It makes me smile, Y/n. It puts a huge smile on my face because I haven't seen you smile in so long."

My vision became blurry as a small tear fell from my eye.

"I saw you two in the pool. He was holding you and you were smiling. You were smiling and laughing and I couldn't help but think: This is the person who's gonna help my daughter."

I looked down at my hands not being able to look into his sad ones anymore.

He was right. Tom is helping me. He helps with assignments, he helps me when I'm crying, he just helps in general.

"I didn't know you paid so much attention." The words barley even able to get out.

"Oh sweetie we pay attention all the time." My mom said resting her hand on my shoulder. "We just give you space because we thought that's what you wanted."

"It is, but sometimes I feel uncomfortable talking to you about my day."

"You don't have to be uncomfortable, sweetheart." My dad said softly. "We know it's hard for you to open up, and if you can't that's fine. Just know that we're here for you. I really think Tom does a good job with encouraging you and making you happy. I really think he's doing more than just trying."

"Me too. He's a good kid, Y/n. He's always there for you." Mom said rubbing my shoulder before removing it.

"Talk to us, Y/n." My dad said referring to my silence.

"It's all just crazy." I chuckled as another tear fell from eye.

"Why?" My mom asked softly.

"Everything you're saying is true."

"Y/n you know both of us want nothing more than for you to get better." My dad said. "Your mother and I both know that Tom is the best bet we can get."