c

╒══════════════════╕

the summer of 2019

╘══════════════════╛

"youngbin, where the hell are you?" the fatigued girl angry-whispers into the radio. "you were supposed to be at the entrance moving boxes 6 minutes ago, dude."

as melody stands in front of her awkwardly, she attempts to ease her nerves. this whole spectacle reminds her of the first day of kindergarten, except back then she was a lot less aware and a lot more carefree.

she wants to say something to alleviate the girl's struggles, but she isn't sure what the right protocol in this sort of situation exactly is. nonetheless, she takes a chance.

"hey, i know that i'm new, but if there's anything i can do to help out, i don't mind at all." she offers with a soft smile, hands tugging at the straps of her backpack.

the frustrated girl stops her speech at once, looking at the melody with wide eyes. no new counselor has ever been so open and eager to help and it intrigues her. even hitomi, who is always so excited, was shy in the beginning and it took her at least a few hours to really open up. but this girl, she seems a bit different.

olivia ignores the buzz of the walkie-talkie in her hand and instead focuses entirely on the lady in front of her. "what did you say your name was again?"

"melody, or mako. i mostly go by melody, though." she lets out a little nervous laugh before recomposing herself.

olivia nods in response before speaking, "oh i see-"

"oh my god, is that the new counselor? jeongin, i think i like her already!" the radio announces loudly, an enthusiastic male's voice coming from the speaker.

"olivia, is she nice? she seems nice, tell her we said hi~" another voice speaks before olivia cut them both off.

"would you two dimwits shut up for just a few minutes?" adjusting the knob, she turns her receiver off, before speaking to the other girl once more, "sorry about youngbin and jeongin, i must not have turned the mic part off, but you'll meet them soon."

melody smiles softly and nodded in understanding. as silence settles again, olivia spoke up.

"we're in dire need of help. this chaos is the result of having the 18 and 19 year old counselors set up the summer camp, while the adults enjoy their last day of freedom." olivia laughs, stress slowly leaving her body as she looks at the sweet girl.

"no worries!" melody exclaims, trying to lift the weary girl's spirits. "what can i do for you?"

"you can just take this box to that building over there; it's the utensils for the canteen. you can lay it down in the front, jeongin'll take it from there." olivia points, to a medium-sized brick building behind her. "you'll meet the head counselor there. he's a few centimetres taller than me and has kind of chubby cheeks. he's finishing up, but he should be there soon."

olivia speaks into the radio, making eye contact with the newbie as she lifts the box. then she smiles sweetly at melody, analyzing her bright eyes and tense smile. olivia can't help but think of what a great counselor she'll make.

 olivia can't help but think of what a great counselor she'll make