nearly

"beomgyu, try to take a bite of my mac & cheese one more time

"beomgyu, try to take a bite of my mac & cheese one more time. i dare you." chaeryoung threatens the pesky boy across her. she flicks gyu's wrist hard, attempting to stop his efforts at stealing her cheesy delight. "i will hit you so hard-"

beomgyu smirks, "no, you won't." when she opens her mouth to argue against him, he takes a piece of garlic bread from his plate and stuffs it into her mouth. beomgyu smiles gently at the girl, "finish eating, chae."

melody leans closer to youngbin to gossip, "are they always like this?"

youngbin whispers back, "pretty much. i feel like they've been flirting for years. every time someone from the camp brings it up, they just evade the question." then he goes back to munching on some garlic bread, laughing at the jealousy-filled glare geonu throws his way from the other side of the table.

the campers are all watching 'despicable me 3' while the teenage counselors are finishing up their meal. as their plates start to get empty and stomachs begin to feel full, one of the adult counselors walk up to them.

"geonu, can you take over the night shift for me today? something urgent has come up and i need to drive a few hours away to get the proper medicine for one of the other adult counselors." the older man calmly explains, requesting the boy.

geonu's answer comes out immediately and melody admires the way he is so willing to do the task. "of course!"

"thank you so much! you don't have to take classes tomorrow because you'll have to catch up on your sleep. make sure you have another person to stay up with you." the adult reminds before walking away from their table.

geonu nods in agreement before diving back into his mac and cheese. as much as he likes to talk, nothing is more important than food.

"so..." hitomi began, curiosity piqued. "who's staying up with you this time?"

the heads at the table all turn towards geonu, expectantly waiting for his answer.

his response was short and concise. "melody."

"w-what? me? why?" the girl mumbles out, tripping over her words in the process.

geonu smirks at her flustered expression. "because i'm the head counselor. and i said so."

"o-oh okay." melody trails off, as the table resumes eating and bickering once more. olivia's eyes narrow in repulse at the shy interaction between the two, she can't stand romance, and youngbin just pats his friend on the back, a proud smile on his face.

later that night, as melody is putting the cabin rain girls to bed and turning the lights off, nina and dahyun decide to tease their cabin counselor on her way out.

dahyun begins smugly, "we heard you're on the night shift with geonu tonight!"

"have fun," nina giggles teasingly. then, she tries to wiggle her eyebrows, "but not too much fun." immediately after the words leave her mouth, she pulls the covers over her head with a squeal. melody just shakes her head in surprise and disbelief.

oh god—why is everyone set on teasing them like this?