e

"melody

"melody...hey, wake up." melody hears distant murmurs as she begins to rise out of her sleepy consciousness.

"w-what?"

"it's time to wake up." the groggy voice repeats, reaching to shake her by the shoulders.

"already?" the girl responds, eyes still closed tightly. "what time is it?"

"almost 6. today's opening day!" the voice cheers. "but i want to show you something so wake up!"

as her lethargic haze drifts, she begins to recognize the voice. "g-geonu?"

"yes, now come on~" the boy sings, slipping his hand around the girl's wrist and tugging gently.

melody pushes the covers off of her body, rubbing at her eyes to focus her vision. she is face to face with a newly-awakened geonu. his soft, brown strands have fallen messily across his forehead and the tip of his nose is tinted pink. on the bridge of his nose sat a pair of thin, round wire-rimmed glasses, highlighting his chocolate-colored eyes.

melody's lips part as she studies the boy's face. there is just something so charming about his natural state.

"okay, but i need coffee." melody informs the boy, feeling her lack of energy.

"i'll make you some after, now come on!" geonu calls, making his way to the door. "it's a bit chilly, so you can grab my sweatshirt, if you want. it'll only be a few minutes."

melody is startled by the boy's offer, but obliges nonetheless. if she's being honest, she is a little curious about the reason behind the boy's haste.

she slips the black jacket over her arms, and heads out the door. the thin hairs on her legs stand on end when they come in contact with the frigid morning air. she chases up to the boy, bumping into his back when he stops suddenly.

"look at the sky." the head counselor instructs, watching as the girl does so. he notices her expression as she observes the beautiful scene. the sunrise.

"wow, it's gorgeous." melody is in awe. the trees outlining the back of the camp part perfectly around the rising sun as it dances among the orange, pink and blue hues of the sky. it truly is breathtaking.

"i know." geonu says, gaze never shifting from her face, the golden light causing a shimmer across it. this is something he usually keeps to himself, cherishes on his own. but for some reason, sharing it with melody just feels right.

a breeze passes and the girl shifts closer to him, arms pressed tightly together against his body. he looks at the girl suspiciously, an eyebrow raised in query. she just shrugs, "what? body heat."

geonu just smiles gently, amused by the girl's justification.

she speaks up again, "so do you do this with every new counselor? a tradition sort of thing?"

geonu shakes his head softly. "this would be the first time, actually. it was just something i thought you'd like, an 'i'd really like to get to know you better' sort of thing." melody's face feels flushed at his direct statement and she tries to hide it with her hands.

now that the sun is up, geonu knows that they have to start getting ready for today—it is opening day after all.

"let's head back inside. i'll make you some coffee." geonu suggests, gesturing back to their cabin.

"oh thank god, i really need it."