r

geonu and melody ditch the empty flavoring packets and used bowls after finishing their ramen, leaving them on the table and agreeing to clean up in the morning

geonu and melody ditch the empty flavoring packets and used bowls after finishing their ramen, leaving them on the table and agreeing to clean up in the morning. now, after changing into shorts and over-sized cotton tees, the two are resting on their separate adjacent beds, just talking.

"i'm sorry if you don't feel comfortable sharing a room with me. i used to room with k but he's not here this year." geonu initiates conversation, attempting to dissipate the awkwardness between them.

"it's alright, i don't mind. i was just surprised, that's all." melody responds quietly. "who is k?"

"his uncle started sunny smiles. he was the first teen counselor and started in the summer of 2013. everyone loved him. i idolized him: followed him around everywhere, and wanted to be just like him. i was only 12 and he was this cool 16 year old counselor, and the only one. he even helped his uncle with all the financials at the time and still does. he was my role model back then. now, campers can attend up to the age of 14 and then they can become a counselor at 16 and it was because of k. i knew that as soon as i turned 16 i wanted to be a counselor too, so i applied and got accepted and was reunited with him again.

"he's been the head counselor in charge of all the teen counselors for three years and has remained my mentor ever since. this is the first year since 2013 that he hasn't been at the camp and he's entrusted me with such a big responsibility that i don't want to let him down."

"you won't." melody assures the boy, turning on her side to face him. their beds were spaced out with a large bedside table between them.

"you really think so?" geonu's eyes furrow in earnest curiosity.

"i know so." she smiles genuinely, nodding her head as well. "what about the other counselors? how long have you known them?"

"well ever since 2009, it was always heeseung,—the boy with doe eyes— youngbin and i. but in 2015, heeseung had to move away so he couldn't come in the summer anymore. the two of us missed him like crazy when we were younger, but soon we grew out of it, adjusting to only being able to text him. youngbin and i both applied as counselors and we were thrilled when we both made it.

"i actually didn't talk to chaeryoung much when we were younger because i found her too stand-offish. but after we started counseling together in 2017, we grew much much closer and she became a really good friend. hitomi, beomgyu and jeongin started last year but they'd all been campers at some time or another, so i knew them relatively well.

"olivia was the only counselor in my first year, with youngbin, chae and i, who hadn't been a camper here before. she found the summer job posting from a friend and got the spot soon. in the beginning, she treated it like an actual job and seemed cold, but eventually, she realized how much more the camp meant to all of us and she changed her perspective. i'd be lying if i said that she isn't one of the most valuable counselors. she's always focused, on-task and runs things extremely well. i know that she felt a bit hurt when k gave me the position of head counselor. but it's nothing more than a label—the camp wouldn't be what it is today without all of them." he explains.

"you make a great head counselor, geonu." melody insists, watching as the boy's face lights up.

"thank you, melody. that means a lot." geonu says, feeling his eyelids starting to droop from the long day of work. "but come on, let's go to sleep. we have a long day ahead of us."