i

╒══════════════════╕

last week of camp

╘══════════════════╛

"yes, i understand. thank you for calling to remind me. i'll make sure i tie up any loose ends here. thanks. yep, love you too dad." geonu speaks into his phone gingerly, hanging up and tucking the phone back into his suitcase. throughout the course of the 3 weeks, counselors usually stay away from their devices so that they can focus their attention and energy towards the campers' experience. however, family calls are an exception to that.

the head counselor lets out a deep sigh as the conversation he just had replays through his mind. his mind is a mess, a storm of emotions raging through his head: frustration, anger, fear and anxiety hiding in every crevice of his mind. he should be happy with this news, but he just isn't.

he's snapped out of his thoughts by the sound of his cabin door opening and the chatter of three familiar boys. in walk youngbin, jeongin and beomgyu chuckling at the some stupid thing the blonde-haired boy had just done.

when they turn to face their head counselor, their eyes grow worried. his gaze is downcast and dark, a certain gloominess hidden in the irises.

"hey you okay, bro?" jeongin asks first, stepping closer to the boy.

geonu lifts his eyes, forcefully trying to brighten his expression, but there's no trace of a smile on the lower half of his face. "yeah, just tired." he shrugs, glancing at the bright sunny day outside, kids already getting ready on the kickball field.

"oh okay, try to get some more sleep tonight."

he continues to stare out of the window, watching the campers jump around excitedly in anticipation for the game. today is supposed to be such a great day for him, so why does he feel awful?

youngbin pulls him out of his daze once more, putting an arm around him in excitement. "come on! the kids are waiting for our kickball god!"

beomgyu nods in agreement, "ah yes, everyone's looking forward to the annual kickball game. this time it's not just the players who are excited, even the minis have been chirping about it all week!"

geonu throws the boys a weak smile as he says, "well, let's go then." the 4 male counselors head to the field and begin the game.

geonu's the captain of the orange team, stacked with melody, olivia, youngbin, ni-ki and dahyun. they're fielding first.

beomgyu leads the blue team, and he lines the campers and counselors up on the side, getting ready to kick in succession.

jeongin's up first, sporting a blue t-shirt with the sleeves cut off as he nears the home plate. ni-ki turns to the older female campers on his team, watching as their eyes bulge in admiration at the charisma the older counselor exudes.

"pshhh, what's so special about older guys, anyways?" he complains, a scowl on his face as he sees dahyun repulsed expression.

dahyun shrugs, "it's the fawn from afar type of attractive. you wouldn't understand." ni-ki still looks perplexed by all the hype, so she dismisses his comment as she points to the home plate. "let's just win this game."

standing a few feet away from youngbin getting ready to roll the ball, the head counselor feels a dull ache branch through his head. geonu doesn't realize how anxious he is until he actually feels the heavy pounding in his chest. the annual kickball game has always been his favorite part of summer. then why does he feel so uneasy?

 then why does he feel so uneasy?