ah,

╒══════════════════╕

the summer of 2009

╘══════════════════╛

geonu was 8 years old the first time he attended camp sunny smiles and he will never forget it.

looking back at his past self, he admits it: he had been terrified. there were so many campers older and tougher than he was, he didn't know how he would survive. for the first two weeks, he only went to his mandatory classes, and stayed in his cabin until it was time for meals. on friday nights, he'd watch the orange-yellow blaze of the campfire from his cabin window, pressing his cheeks against the glass to get the best view. when the children would disperse from the light, scattering to their rooms, he would jump under the covers, pretending to be asleep so his cabin mates wouldn't ask him anything.

that all changed after one game of california kickball. the boy adorning circular glasses and chubby cheeks left all of his shyness back in the cabin. he cracked his knuckles, stretched his calves and got his game face on. he was ready to destroy the game.

kick after kick, run after run, geonu led his team to victory as they dominated the opponents.

after that, he was known as the god of kickball. kids flocked to him like moths to a light, because, boy, he was shining. though he was flustered by the response, he grew close with heeseung and youngbin. they became his first real friends at camp sunny smiles.