Chapter 1

I knew I had to work late tonight, and luckily it was only 2:34 in the afternoon. You'd think I'd be excited to return home and take a long steaming shower to wash off the sweat and dirt, but the last thing I wanted to do was go home.

All I ever hear is my dad bitching and complaining at mom for how it's her fault that she got knocked up and had me, when he should've worn the freaking condom. Then after she cries and tries to tell him that she tried to get rid of me through abortion, he beats her. He knows the truth just as much as I do, she didn't try, she wanted to have me. She wanted a child. Sadly, this was the cost. Then soon after he beats her, however long that takes, he comes upstairs to do the rest to me. Not only does he abuse me, he molests me.

I am glad it's summer though. I don't have to attend school anymore. That is, until it starts up again, for my last year. And then I can finally move out and go to the university I've always dreamt of, Stanford, in California. I do live in New York, so at least I'll be quite far away from my parents. But even though it's summer, and I do have to go home and deal with the beatings, I can at least look forward to The Maze Runner Premiere on Saturday.

The Maze Runner just so happens to be one of my favourite books. I love the mystery, suspense and action it has. Even the detail is incredible. Although Thomas is the lead role, Newt will always be my most beloved. Then when I found out that Thomas Sangster is playing the role of Newt in the film, I almost had a heart attack. Ever since Love Actually, I've adored him. So once I heard that they were giving away a free ticket to meet the cast and watch the premiere, I almost immediately called into the radio station, and just my luck, I was the tenth caller who won the free ticket. Ever since that day, I've been looking forward to it.

- July 4th, 2014 -

"Stay for tonight
If you want to
I can show you
What my dreams are made of
As I'm dreaming of your face"

I slowly rub my eyes open before turning off my alarm clock. It's always nice to hear the sound of Kellin Quinn's voice wake you from a deep slumber. Then that's when I realized why I had even set my alarm in the first place. Not work, not school, but the premiere. The time has finally come. I jolted up in a hurry, stumbling over a pile of my clothes into the bathroom. I banged on the wall till I hit the light switch. I turned on the shower, turning the tap towards the hot side, just as I liked it.

I slowly took off my extra large red shirt, which has always been too big for me, and my boy shorts. I then brushed through my long blonde wavy hair, before I placed the comb down and stared at myself in the mirror. All the cuts, all the bruises, it was disgusting in all honesty. The cuts down my arms, along my thighs and bruises scattered across my body didn't show that I was weak, it showed me that I was strong. That I can survive this, and not deal with his shit. Sure, I may take it out on myself by slicing up my wrists here and there, or even my thighs, but I still know I'm better than his worthless piece of shit ass.

After I finished my hot shower, I placed my hair in a towel, twisting it up to rest upon my head so that I could go make myself breakfast downstairs. Luckily, dad was working today and mom, well, she usually stays in her bedroom.

As I got downstairs, wearing my checkered light weight robe, I slipped on a pair of shoes to go and check if there was any mail. I still don't have my ticket for the premiere, and they said they would mail it to my address.

Once I reached the mailbox, I opened the door and saw an envelope with a few news flyers. I grabbed all the mail, and quickly started opening the envelope which had my name on it. Just as I had hoped, there was my ticket. I started dancing like a hooligan, smiling with joy, and for once in my life, I felt genuinely happy. No fake crap.

I heard someone whistling, which was most likely my next door neighbour, Jake. I waved him off as I giggled on my way back inside. Today is going to be marvellous.

ⓒ Lex