Chapter 6

I woke up slowly, squinting my eyes, trying to adjust to the sunlight shining in through the window. Almost instantly, I felt an aching pain throughout my whole body. I couldn't help but shiver due to it being freezing in my room. I rubbed my eyes and sighed, remembering the memories from last night, and I soon realized that's why I must be so sore.

I sat up slowly, letting out a small groan as I stretched, and reached for a shirt in my bottom dresser drawer. Slipping it on, I noticed that I had a few cuts down the sides of my thighs, which weren't made by me. I once again, sighed then stood up before I went extremely light headed. Must be from  all the blows to the head and from yelling loudly last night.

Once I got downstairs, I noticed that his car keys were still in the small cylindrical bowl. Which meant, he hasn't gone to work yet, and I wasn't ready to hear his disgusting remarks about last night. Before I even had the chance of opening a box of cereal, I heard the door creak from upstairs.

"Good morning sweetheart." I heard a groggy voice say, which could only be from the disgusting man himself. I looked up at him, gave a small glare and poured some Rice Krispies in my bowl, along with almond milk. At least this will cheer me up, I thought. I sat down quietly, ignoring him completely and just ate my cereal in silence as he grabbed his keys, trying to give me a peck on the lips. Of course, I turned my head as he just gripped my face with his large hand and kissed me harshly before leaving. I stared at my cereal long and hard, until I hit it off the counter, watching it smash all over the floor, along with the milk expanding across the tiled flooring. That's when it was the last straw. Warm tears started flowing from my eyes and onto the counter. I screamed, almost as if someone could hear me and actually give a damn. I pulled at my hair, feeling the string of thin spit leaving my mouth as I continued to sob.

∘∘∘∘∘∘∘∘∘∘∘∘∘∘∘∘∘∘∘

When I weakly took off my shirt to take a shower, I noticed all the damage he really had done to me. I had a scar already forming on my cheek from where he scraped me with the knife slightly. That wasn't the only thing scarring me. My body had damage too. Bruises upon bruises, slices of cuts along my chest. They hurt, badly, but I could deal with the pain. I'm not weak, I kept thinking. Trying to repeat it in my head, knowing I needed to be strong.

I heard a ring go off from my phone, but I left it. It's probably no big deal, I thought as I opened the shower door, stepping onto the cold tiles beneath me.

It felt so good to finally lather my skin with soap, instead of pain. I closed my eyes, scrunching my hair in sections as I moved the soap around my entire head. It stung as some of the shampoo fell into the cuts on my chest and thighs, but it could never hurt as much as the memory that is permanently left in my brain.

When I had finally finished my shower, I chose to check my phone, and see what the ring was about earlier. I read the number at the top of the screen, as it didn't look familiar, so I read the texts. There was two, and both were from Thomas.

The first one read, "Hey, it's me Thomas, everything alright?" That text must've been from last night. I really hope he didn't witness anything.

"Good afternoon, you're not ignoring me are you? I apologize if I had said something wrong last night." I sighed in relief. He just thinks I'm upset with him. Of course I'm not, but I'd rather him think that, than me being abused brutally.

"Sorry Thomas, I just got your messages now. I fell asleep early last night, just exhausted. Don't worry, you did nothing wrong :)" I replied, sighing softly, hoping that did the trick. I mean, I lied, but it was for a good reason.

Later on in the day, I had to go back to work to pick up a few checks to deposit them in the safe at the bank. It's kind of a hassle, but they need to be deposited by tomorrow around 9am, and I don't work till Monday night. Might as well just deposit them tonight. At least I get to get out of the house today, for a bit that is. I just don't know how I'll be able to cover up the scar on my face.

I arrived at work and went inside to see everyone working in a fast pace. I didn't even notice a special someone was there.

Going to the back of the coffee shop, I dialled the numbers on the safe, having it creak open. I grabbed the few envelopes that carried the money, and left the back room, almost leaving the shop before I heard a British accent that was awfully familiar.

"Kensie?" I heard him say softly. A smile immediately crept onto my lips.

I turned around and came face to face with Thomas, once again. His eyes started to widen when he saw me, almost in horror. I looked at him, starting to furrow my eyebrows before my eyes opened wide as well, realizing what he was staring at.

"What happened to your cheek?" He said before gently running his thumb over it. I twitched slightly, as he touched it. I didn't realize how sore it actually was until it was touched. I turned my face away, not wanting to make eye contact, ashamed. I eventually just turned my whole self around and walked out the door.

"Ken--" was all I heard before the door shut behind me. I rushed to my car, realizing how sore my ribs actually were. Once I shut the door, I drove off as fast as I possibly could, ignoring Thomas in my rear view mirror waving his arms.

ⓒ Lex