Chapter 4 - The Mountain

On the edge of town, there is a mountain, who seems blue at a distance but evergreen up close, that welcomes newcomers and bids adieu to the people who leave. To me, it's an old friend. The type that has been there all my life. I mean where else would she go? She is bound to the earth to protect us and is given the name 'The Pregnant Lady', by the people in the town. To me, she is also a mother to our little town, as she looks after it with the precious view. Many climb up on her stomach, to see, through her eyes, what endearing view she has over us. 

Up there with her, is a man. Well, the spirit of a man. He has seen a lot when he was alive and sees even more as a spirit. He fought wars, seen wars, saw life begin and life end. he leads a good life for those close to him. Alas, he has love. A love he has inside of him, warming his heart and has been for many years. Even now, a bittersweet yearn is held for her, as she lives down in the little town that is watched. They were young and full of life and love when they first met. For their love was a dance. A dance, in a ballroom full of light and life, that could've lasted eternally. 

They hung onto each other and spun, dipped, waltzed. It was fast-paced, slow-paced and at the right kind of pace most of the time. The longer they would dance, the brighter everything in their world became. They had their friends, children, even grandchildren who watched, heartfelt as the dance bloomed and grew. They danced aggressively, melancholy, contently but they never let go of each other. Their love was too strong to let go of. As for Life himself, he thought and he thought hard. He could sense something was not right in the atmosphere. 

It wasn't the dancing of the pair, because it was almost flawless. It wasn't the audience because their eyes were glued with awe to every movement made. Then he went up the stairs to see if it was a technical difficulty. To his disbelief, it indeed was a technical difficulty with the chandeliers. You see, their dance was fine, it was the man's bright light of life that was dimming away. No wire could fix the light so Life, with a heavy heart and a lowered head, had to take the matter into his own hands. He had to rush quickly onto the dancefloor and tapped him on the shoulder and whispered in his ear. 

"I'm afraid it's time for you to stop dancing. Your light is fading quickly, kind sir. Take my hand and I can guarantee that you'll be brighter in a place I know of", he extended his hand, waiting for some kind of response. "But what about her? And everyone else in this room?", he says quite distressed with a frown on his face. "My dear friend, I promise they will be safe and sound. I will do my best to make sure they are all happy and live their own life to the fullest. You have done enough and I congratulate you on all your accomplishments" he answers reassuringly.

 With a kiss, a smile and a last embrace, the man took Life's hand, knowing who he leaves behind is safe. Even though they watched him go with tears in their eyes and a hole in their hearts, the audience danced with her in support and harmony. Don't get it wrong, he visits everyone in their dreams to remind them how much they mean to him and how much they are loved. He even visits her sometimes. So in his honour, She dances to this day, with a yearning heart and a sorrowful head, knowing he is with her always but he cannot dance with her. 

But He stands on top of the mountain, dusk to dawn, every day for years on end, waiting for Life to take her hand and take her back to her only dancing partner in life, just like they did when they first met when they were young. So that they can dance over the view where they had made the best life together. Where they can watch over their friends, children and grandchildren. For years, he continues to tell The Pregnant Lady all types of stories he has from when he was alive. 

On the edge of town, there is a mountain. But also a love that has brought tears to eyes, smiles to everyone's faces and belief in love to people's hearts. A love that will last until the end of time.